Search This Blog

Thursday, 1 December 2016

Snack smart - "when I go bananas" edition :)


Hello everybody

When people used to say things about "banana" and "bread" at the same recipe, it did not make sense to me. That was before we had Internet (and: YES, there was a time when folks did not have internet!). Later on, I have gotten to know more about this snack, but the variety of recipes was overwhelming. Besides that, as it turned out - not everyone can combine a recipe, as some of them ended up being too spicy, or too oily, or just so uncomfortably sweet.
I had the glorious fortune of coming across the "Curious George Bread" recipe from a lovely and caring Sevasti (or Sylvia), down at OrthodoxMom blog. The great thing about this recipe is that it's also lent-proof (meaning that is has no animal products, whatsoever, and all of you vegetarians out there, can safely enjoy this, too)

Banana-bread.. or not really a loaf-thing:

So.. the amount just might be a bit too much
for a regular 12 muffin tin
(and I got a small cake, too)  :)

Ingredients:
(side-note: when I say "cup" I usually mean 200ml, my trusty Moomin enamel mug, that many of you had the chance of seeing on my Instagram account)
1 + 3/4 cups flour (regular is fine)
1 + 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt (don't skip on salt)
3/4 cup oil or sesame seed paste (if you like it, or can find it - or for non-oil days)
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. water
3 or 4 bananas, mashed (depending of how huge they are)
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips, of finely chopped chocolate (if, like myself, you are still not having any chip-forms in your shops)
Directions:
Preheat oven to 180°C (that is 350 degrees Fahrenheit).
Mix flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Beat together oil, sugar and water. Add flour mixture to oil mixture and add bananas. Stir in chocolate chips.
Pour into greased 30 cm bread pan (about 10 inch loaf pans, as you might know them by that name) and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from pans.

These also work well as muffins, as you can see here:

Me, on yesterday evening
(absolutely baking-insane, and aware of it)  :)

By the time this is posted, the batch will be long gone - as it is intended for the entire board of people who sit on the land-auction alongside me.
Have a lovely day!
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Lovely looking baking!! I make banana muffins every week. 3-4 bananas, 3 eggs, 1/3rd cup coconut flour and 3/4 tsp bicarb soda. Easy and you just change the flavours (I like chia seeds and berries). I will try your version! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear!
      I like your recipe, it's quite simple. I will try it out, as soon as the lent ends. :)

      Delete
  2. You can make it in a loaf pan, like you would bread, and then cut it into slabs. (Or, at least, I can do that with the recipe I've got.) It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the original recipe - a loaf.
      Me, however, have not YET gotten to buying the tin :)

      Delete