Search This Blog

Thursday, 29 September 2016

Mid(not)week magazines, or: Because yesterday I was in a paint frenzy.. today - Betty Garble


Hello everybody

I know it's Thursday today (but I believed it was Tuesday yesterday) :) And, I have been with my head in the clouds, so to say. To be honest: I was with my eyes on a color pallet. So, even when working in the office, no one asks you what day in the week it is. When I finally got to sit down in the evening, I saw that someone has snatched my Wednesday?!

I stand corrected.
And I have for you an article 
about the magnificent star of the silver screen, 
the gorgeous pin-up gal
the one and only: Betty






Betty's most famous photo shoot was in 1943 in which her back is turned toward the camera and she is peeking over her shoulder - because at the time she was actually six months pregnant. However, it was due to her long legs, (which her studio famously had insured for $1,000,000) curves and Pin-up beauty that her posters were hung up continuously by soldiers. Betty Grable is an influential icon behind the Pin-up style to this day, and one of the biggest poster girls for the Pin-up movement in the 1940’s thus, making her a person of great importance to the history.
What Betty also did, maybe with no intention, is: she has proven that women of all shapes and sizes can (and ARE) absolutely smashing!
....
Have a great day.
Marija

2 comments:

  1. You are such a fount of vintage knowledge, my dear friend. I've seen that iconic image of Betty with her back to the camera more times than I can recall, yet had no idea that pose was implemented because she was with child at the time. That is thoroughly fascinating. Thank you for that and all of this fun Betty related information with us.

    Many hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't realised Betty was pregnant when she did that pose, either. Fascinating!

    I'm not surprised she liked James Thurber; he wrote entertainingly about dogs, and she was clearly a great dog-lover herself.

    ReplyDelete