Search This Blog

Tuesday, 16 August 2016

You’re never too old to read ANY book.


Hello everyone

It doesn’t matter how old you are, there is a little child within who needs love and acceptance. If you’re a woman, no matter how self-reliant you are, you have a little girl who’s very tender and needs help. If you’re a man, no matter how macho you are, you still have a little boy inside who craves warmth and affection.
Age does not to define who you are and there’s no right way to be an adult.
That is why I love reading children's books. (this is not about "young adult" literature - no, I'm writing about real children's books). From picture books to middle grade to young adult to adult and beyond. I like to think I’ll give anything a shot; because this world is so big, and I was limited to only a set of books printed in our country, thus not getting my hands (and eyes) on so many other literary gems and pieces of art.
It really is that simple.
I do not know anyone who enjoys Harry Potter less than they did ten years ago. I re-read "Heidi" while ago and it reminded me why it's among my favorite novels. (if not even: be like her.. oh, the delicate love of the Man from the Mountain!)


Children’s books are wonderful, 
and I don’t think we read enough of them.
So, here's one for us:




















Why do I love reading children's books?
The language in children's books is simple and often rhythmic - lovely to read aloud especially books for young children. The story-line is direct, you can read it in one sitting, and get the instant boost of emotions. They are pure, the promote the good in us, they give you the joy.. and the illustrations are delightful.  :)
..
How about you?
Marija

5 comments:

  1. I don't read them now, but perhaps I will start again when my nephew arrives. (Got to get him the right books!)

    I still have the first book I bought myself. We didn't have much money, but the school had a scheme where we could buy stamps to save up for books, so that's what I did, 10p at a time. I'll never get rid of that book. (Bogwoppit, it is called, about strange little cat-owl things that live in a swampy garden.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, what a lovely-looking creature!
      I must admit it, this is the first time I've seen it (that is precisely why I'm still reading children's books - so much of these loves out there, still to be discovered!).
      Like yourself, I too have struggled with getting books. As a matter of fact, buying one was not an option, so I went to library quite often. :)

      Marija

      Delete
  2. What a darling book! I loved the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder and The Bobbsey Twins books when I was a little girl.

    And I was so happy to rediscover many childhood books when my daughter was growing up.

    And I have a real soft spot for Little Golden Books and still buy the stories from my childhood for myself. In particular, I will buy anything illustrated by Eloise Wilkins.

    Finding a sweet book from my childhood sometimes touches me so much that it makes my heart ache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Dawn.
      Many parents get to re-discover books while their child is growing. But, then.. even those of us who do not have kids - we too should get back into reading children's literature. Just for the sake of feeling that free-spirit of our childhood again.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. Oh Marija, what a heartwarmingly sweet, wonderful post. This really struck a chord with me. I adore children's books and though I don't own many, I reading them all the same and reflecting back on those that meant a great deal to me when I was growing up. I even keep a private wishlist on Amazon devoted just to children's stories that catch my eye. I like to think that if I'm ever a mother myself and/or have nieces or nephews that live nearby, I'll buy some of them for both/all of us to enjoy together (I may even purchase some for myself all the same, even if such doesn't happen).

    Many hugs & thanks for this wonderful post,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete