Search This Blog

Friday, 5 August 2016

What My Garden Means to Me. An essay.


Hello everybody

Gardening doesn’t fit into the lifestyle of this technological era. Not over here, not any more (sadly). It’s reserved for the old and wrinkled grandmothers who think your iPad is a fancy cutting board and iPods are some sort of bean. 
I am not a grandmother. I'm a simple person. I’m an introvert. The solitude and silence I get out of interacting one on one with nature recharges my batteries in the same way a night out with friends does for an extrovert. Some people go to the gym, or play football, or dance all night to re-charge themselves. I garden and take walks. 
Another reason I’m so motivated to garden is seeing the fruits (and veggies) of my labor. Seeing a tiny seed sprout from the earth and become a huge, fruit bearing plant, that adds beauty to the landscape and food to my plate is a very motivating and tangible product of my creation. Creating beautiful things gives me a taste of godliness, and this brings me happiness.

Here's a lovely story about the passion of a gardener:














If you have a small yard, you may think you don’t have enough space to grow food for your family. However, it only takes about a tenth of an acre to produce most of the vegetables one person will eat in an entire year, according to gardening experts.Even if you have no yard, many vegetables are easy to grow in containers on your porch or balcony.

Drum-rolls 
(I beg of you - don't faint!)

.
.

This is MY GARDEN yesterday:

Here, I stood in front of the figs, plumbs and apples
taking the picture at the lower right corner,
those are my weeds happily growing on
the layer of construction dirt

Back there, that's my neighbor's barn 
in front of it is a cherry, to it's right the common reed 
yes, part of the terrain keeps water - so we do get ponds
hence: the construction dirt and bricks were placed
(someone thought that would be a good "layer" and "foundation,
alas I can't buy-off DIRT to top that)

Let's look from the bottom up:
upper right corner containing plumbs, figs, apples, hazelnut
(and a strange structure known to few: the back-yard toilet)
In front view is the pile of branches drying up and waiting
to become the bio-char (technically) 


Meet my upper left corner:
two large walnut trees and hawthorn are way back (or "front" at the entrance)
more plums - in the middle
this to your left is a single peach ( I have high hopes for that one)

Only a few generations ago, most of the food on the dinner table had been growing in a garden only hours before it was served. While it would be a full-time job these days to feed your family this way, it feels surprisingly good to grow some of the staples on our grocery list.
Don't judge my garden harshly.
I'll get there - eventually.

Happy Friday.
Marija

2 comments:

  1. That's a big garden for one person - my only judgement is that you're so lucky to have all those lovely fruit trees. I'm hoping to get a few apples off my tiny apple tree this year.

    You're right, it is good to grow things onesself. There's something so satisfying about knowing you 'made' the food from the very seeds upwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mim's first thought was mine as well - what a large (especially by today's standards) amount of land to have to garden on. I wouldn't judge your yard in the slightest. It looks healthy (as in, the plants are doing well) and spacious, relaxing and wonderfully verdant. Who amongst us wouldn't feel elated to have a place like that to grow our own food in, too?

    Keep up the inspiring, wonderful work, my talented friend.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete