Search This Blog

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Burda Wednesday: July 1959, part III


Hello, good morning!

First impressions are often more important than we think about them. Things like: "She is not my type" or "He couldn’t handle this position"come to our mind when we take a first look at someone. Sometimes our mind said: "She looks friendly" of "He looks efficient" - but, we don't know that. What we see is how they look.
We make snap judgments about people from the clothes they wear.
It is important to choose our dress style carefully because people will make all sorts of assumptions and decisions about us without proper evidence. We are unlikely to know what these assessments are too, so it is quite possible that our clothes reveal more than we thought.

Today, let me show you some examples in our Burda
and let's see what "She's a LADY" look(ed) like
and meant back in the day:

First image - and a perfect example of
brightening up the button-down design or 
how an interesting cut makes a simple pattern pop

Bright and empowering tops

If you're wearing trousers,
these tops will give a plain trouser loos some 
much needed color.

For kids, it's all about
interesting design in patterns.
Stripes, dashes and polka dots.

Just so we know:
you can not be "posh" unless you wear
the WHITE cocks and shiny shoes.

Another LOVE novel

..for all of you who can understand it.

"You can get involved"
(this is about those monthly "days" us, women, have)

These two ladies are
the amateurs clothing-makers.. what great designs!

This is what I call
"a vanity page" in or magazine:
it features all we like to have done (hands, nails, diet...)

"Modern day wizard speaking"
(well, I'd buy this machine, for the sake of great commercial)

Good materials make good clothing.


It may be obvious that what you wear affects others’ perceptions of you. But one interesting aspect of dress is that what you wear can affect how you behave. The clothes we wear—specifically, the meaning we have associate with them and the feelings they evoke in us—put us in a different mindset. We associate pajamas with lazing around whereas we associate a suit and tie with hard work and professionalism. And we act the way we dress - without even noticing it.
Whatever you choose to wear, consider how it might impact what you do, how you perform, and how others interact with you.
Do you ever think about it?
...
Happy Wednesday.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Ooohh, I can't decide which I adore more: the striped dress with the red roses or the marriage, on the following page of a glen plaid skirt with a red & white shirt and red & white bracelets. Both are sensational and definitely styles I'd be delighted to wear.

    Thank you for another inspiring Burda Wednesday post. They really are such a highlight of the blogging week for me (and, I'm sure, many others, too).

    Big hugs & happy mid-August wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading something as wonderful as your comment makes it even harder to "cut" the weekly Burda features. But, I suppose nothing can last forever, right?
      These last few issues are featuring a lot of changes, you can see.
      The recognizable "1960s style" is so close, we can almost feel the change.

      Have a great weekend.
      Marija

      Delete
  2. I definitely think about it. I had a job interview recently, and although it was for one within my current company (and one of the people in the room was a good friend of mine too), I still wore a suit. They laughed a bit at that, but I wanted to take the process seriously and show that the interview mattered to me, so I dressed accordingly.

    I always think I look a bit scruffy, but people tell me I dress nicely. I guess I'm scruffy compared to the vintage ladies I know, but still very neat compared to modern jeans-and-T-shirt styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You DO look nice.
      To me, as I have repeated some times, your style is truly the image of a lady - with your figure, your hair.. everything.
      We can't ignore the fact that what we look like makes the overall opinion of us. I mean, you can't expect a hippie-looking fella to be a great accountant? (but, he just may be!) :)

      Marija

      Delete