Search This Blog

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Burda Wednesday: August 1959, part I


Hello everybody

I'm running a bit late with this edition of Burda - I must say, automatic "publishing" was never a thing I remember setting-up (silly, right?! it's like saying you forget t set the alarm-clock)  :)


Smile, as bright as the sun!

For a moment there, I looked at them thinking
I could easily join them
they look so amused.

There's an advertisement for a new novel called
"..it all started with a newspaper.."
(this must be a great story, the beginning is promising)

August's perfection!
Look at this gorgeous combination,
such a delicate green dress with a feminine, yet modest collar.

Yup, the sixties are coming...

Here's how to look "casual"
(I dare say: many folks today would not call this "casual")

Can you see the title: "a la Chanel"!
the iconic shape of the female suit.

"The sailor"
(never out of fashion"

Variations.
These can be work all day long, since they look rather comfortable.

The shirt-dresses
(just look at those patterns! can we all have them in our sizes?) :)

Comfortable style for the young mothers.

I'm not sure what to think about 
the position of this bow..

Simplicity & elegance
these are the words that come to mind 
when I saw this dress.
Because, it fits everyone, see next page:

see?!
same dress - two stunning figures
both looking amazing.

Shhh - I guess this page is about "those days" in the month.

Back in the 1950s and 1960s women did not discuss their periods with their boyfriends or husbands in detail if at all.  It was considered an "unhealthy"  and improper topic of conversation.  This can be seen when the topic is mentioned in front of our fathers and grandfathers.  
Very rarely did women and girls even talk about menstruation with their girl friends. Women/girls had to rely on their mothers and sisters for the answers to any and all questions. Some mothers didn't handle the topic themselves but used very vague books written by men to brooch the subject with their daughters. Sometimes mothers just gave their daughters sanitary pads and didn't even explain them.
That's when the pamphlets and magazine stories started: at least with the written words came SOME explanation to "what is happening to me" situation. I feel for the girls who lived back in those ages, when silence was the answer.
..
(how did I got to blogging about menstruation?!)
My word..
...
Have a lovely mid-week.
Marija

1 comment:

  1. The dress on the cover is a really interesting texture. The 'Chanel' suit is definitely my favourite, though.

    I'm glad we live in a time when it's easier to be open about how bodies work. It makes people more likely to get problems sorted before things go wrong - though I think women are better at going to the doctor about things 'down there' than men; there are big campaigns to persuade men to check themselves for male cancers in this country nowadays. (Do you have 'Movember' in Serbia?)

    ReplyDelete