Search This Blog

Saturday, 2 July 2016

No, you can not "google" a holiday. You have to LIVE it. And LOVE it. :)


Hello everybody

After quite some time of "automatic" posts, this one comes directly after writing. One of the reasons for this is the fact that, busy as I will surely get (after getting back to full-speed work) I don't want you guise to get my "holiday" post sometime in September. :)

...
I always created excuses for not taking a vacation. Either there was too much work to be completed or there wasn't enough money. When I started to feel mentally and physically exhausted from the everyday routine, I came to the realization that I needed to get away from it all. I took the advice of my family and took a much needed vacation

Life.
Not something that we should miss out. :) 

As you have read before I went, this holiday came to me for free, with a "price". I was one of three guides to 40 teenagers. Yeah, the odds were greatly against us. :) Taking teens to a seaside hotel is a heavy task, but knowing that there is going to be at least some "me" time was what waged on the "go on and do it" side. 
I have no regrets.
Surely, you know teens (once, we were all there). Their holiday plans might not always correlate to what we have installed for them. So, be sure there will be close to no one on breakfast - or, as they have told me "getting up at 7,00 AM is something I have to do only on a school day"; point well taken.

 Taking vacation-time is important.

We live in a world that is more fast-paced and stressful than ever before. Work and home life demands, expectations, and information overload continue to increase.
Stress, noted as the number one killer by many doctors, is often the the main suspect behind most illness. We get so used to living at this stressful pace we rarely even realize we’re stressed or need a break. Failing to acknowledge our body’s need for a vacation can have huge costs.

We all need to "unplug".
We need to "rejuvenate" and take things slow.. 
like these palms that took decades to reach this majestic state.
We must nourish ourselves.

This is not a process that needs to happen nor a result that should be pushed. It’s a natural benefit of vacation that you must trust to unfold in its own way—in it’s own time.
To be honest with you, before I took this time-off.. I wasn't getting the energy I was used to, and the sense of joy was missing-out. I became slower. moody, distracted, nervous, even less friendly. Not the version of me I strive to be. I burned out, to put it bluntly. 
Rejuvenation is king. 
Without it, we’re destined to expire and our health, work, and relationships will pay the price. Again, although many people feel they do not have the time or money to vacation, the truth is, they can’t afford not to. Everything comes with a price. We may as well pay a holiday fee, rather than a hospital bill, right? :)

 This was a view from my room's balcony

We have a fortune that our municipality actually owns a hotel at the seaside. When I say "at the", I really mean, the hotel is (as you can see) right on the beach. It was one of the first buildings there, and the location is absolutely amazing. You leave your suitcase, put on your swimsuit, walk across a small pavement - and you're on the beach.

 This wall is Sutomore's characteristic.

To get to the beach you have to take the stairs down. All the beach is sheltered by this great stone wall. There is  a safety reason for that. Sometimes (we were fortunate not to be the ones experiencing this "sometimes" situation this year - but I was there few times before) the storm lifts the waves so high, you can not see the beach. The sea "swallows" it all up, and the waves come crashing on that wall, while the overflowing foam sprinkles the bystander's faces. (needless to add that the "red flag" is on the entire time, and there is NO swimming - not even a brave & foolish desire to do so).
As I have said, this year, this was not the case. We have some miniature waves, just enough to keep the teens satisfied. The weather was amazing, sun smiling down on us the entire time, and the evening air bringing salty smell to our rooms.


 On and off the beach

The light packing has given me more freedom, since there was no time spent on what to pick out and wear for the dinner. The rule of "three" is amazing. Three bottoms (or two bottoms and a dress). Three pairs of underwear. Three shirts. Wear one, wash one, dry one. There was no need for any special "beach wear", a simple large scarf did the job so well: just tight it up in one way or another ; and that item alone gives you such a versatile look for the entire stay.
Since I wasn't there to party and I knew I would spend my nights indoors, there was no need for any shoes. One daily flops, one traveling shoes - so much more room in a tiny suitcase. Leaving my makeup bag at home was another frugal and logical choice. The sun's kiss gives the face all the glow it needs. So, I say: leave the brushes for the time when you get back. There's little things that can compare with the "fresh" feeling of the morning seaside air on your bare face.

Another "three" that you MUST pack:
swimsuit, glasses and a large hat! :)

.
.
.

Ta-da!  :)

Last hint, before I hit "publish". 
Ladies, please, do collect samples from "Sephora" or other high-end cosmetic shops to use as travel-size toiletries. Shops such as "Sephora" offer samples on pretty much every product: face cream, cosmetics, even perfume. It's light to pack, it's a great money-saver, it can be thrown away after use, without an ounce of remorse. :)

....
Any of you have some travel plans?
Marija

8 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you had a great time! Lovely spot on the beach, looks wonderful. I too am having a little time out - just a long weekend at home, but time for being creative, to watch a favourite film etc. Today looks sunny so we're heading out for fresh air and exercise! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have seen the images you've posted.
      You look like you're having a quality time, too. Recharging is important, no matter how it is done, Stay-at-home does wonders.

      MArija

      Delete
  2. What a lovely vacation you are having. Can't get any better than having your hotel right on the beach. Where are you? I see palm trees so I guess you must be far from home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn
      Yeah, I was FAR away from home. Back in time, that was a part of our country, but we grow smaller in size, as the countries broke apart and gained independence from each-other. Now, we call it "abroad", but it still feels like we're the same (we are!) :) It's a 13 hours of riding in a bus to get there. But, well worth it.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you very much needed your vacation - and it looks like you had a wonderful time. I've really enjoyed seeing your snaps on Instagram. Your big beach hat really suits you, it's very glam.

    I don't bother with makeup on holiday either - it's nice just to leave it all behind. And I also take perfume samples away with me.

    Holidays are great :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes!
      I have NEEDED this vacation.
      Wearing in makeup during holiday seem like too much. It's ok if the holiday is more like a "relax and leisure" in a cabin house - but, for the sunshine's bursting strength on the beach - no..

      Marija

      Delete
  4. What a breathtaking location! It's awesome that you were able to spend some time just relaxing and savouring the beauty of that area, dear Marija. Thank you for taking us along with you via these fun holiday snaps. I hope that the rest of your summer is sunny and enjoyable as well.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, dear Jessica!
      I hope that you have felt at least a bit of seaside air from this post.

      Marija

      Delete