Search This Blog

Wednesday, 6 July 2016

Burda Wednesday: May 1959, part III


Hello everybody.

I'm running a bit late today, my dear friends.. it's a merry-go-round over here. We're preparing for two festivals; one in small village in two days (more like a small town-fair); and the other one is in my town (much like you've seen before). Fun, candies, concerts, guests, new dresses - all that fanfare!
On the other hand, there's a huge chunk of work to do - and we all know what's that called. It's called the "after holidays" pile of paperwork (also known as "the welcoming party")  :)

While I party down with my papers
you guise take a look at some pages from "Burda" magazine, OK?

Suwa has the cutest illustrations.

Seeing this (and all other gals) wearing corsets
makes me consider it...

It's all about being "natural, romantic..."
and wearing polka-dots.

Gorgeous dresses.

Straight from Paris: puffed-up dress and a great hat.

Latest ideas coming from Paris
feature much more color that what a "regular" 1950s lady
would be used to.. so, we're entering a new era.

Oh, my.. cleavage! :)

New designs in shoes.

What a lovely bride!
(the groom looks posh, as well)

Flowers. Dots. Bold prints.

...not that the dresses above would be 
a day-to-day kind of outfits, right?

Enters Italian romanticism. 

I still don't know what to think about this hat
I must like it - surely.. it would make my head
look like a blooming flower. :)

Speaking of flowers.. here are some

It's like a flower shop!
You don't pick out a dress, you pick out a flower bouquet! :)

Dreaded wash-days are long gone
nowadays, ladies have much needed help
(a greatest gift Men gave us - washing machine!)

Knitting happy.

Nothing remains plain when you introduce
accessions into your life.


Bag-obsessed, much?  :)

I wish you a joyful Wednesday.
Marija

6 comments:

  1. Hmm, there are some very odd hats in this issue, aren't there? The one with the dress with the roses on reminds me of the hat worn by Snufkin in the Moomins!

    I hope your festivals are fun, and that you have time to put your work aside and enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim,
      You have said it. I,too have seen some strange hats in my time, and these ones are surely ODD, to say at least. :) Your comparison to Moomins stands right at the spot - over-sized, to flashy... but, hay, I suppose it would be great for the day at the Ascot's, right? :)

      This year I do not have (hopefully) no official duties. So, it just might get really fun!

      Marija

      Delete
    2. Hahaha, I forget how the rest of the world sees British special-event hats. Americans think we're crazy. That hat would be positively restrained and minimalist at something like Royal Ascot.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous fashions! Granted, they're not all styles I'd be rushing head first to wear, but even still, I sincerely appreciate them and love seeing the creativity that filled the style world of the late 50s/early 60s. Some of those hats are just wild! I especially like the navy and white polka dot one.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, hey!
      You are, like the most of us, stunned by the amazing height of the hats here featured. Nothing strange there, they are overwhelming... :)

      Marija

      Delete
  3. Wow! I am giddy with all the wonderful dresses, hats, and handbags! This must be the best Burda ever.

    ReplyDelete