Search This Blog

Tuesday, 5 July 2016

Born to be wild - in a sanitary, warm and bear-free environment. :)


Hello everybody

"The most intact, undisturbed wild natural areas left on our planet—those last truly wild places that humans do not control and have not developed with roads, pipelines or other industrial infrastructure" - that's Wilderness. 
...
Whenever a conversation moves to the subject of transportation, the seriousness falls over the table, as folks discuss prices of fuel, wearing-out of tires, reckless cyclists, jay-walkers, listening to this-and-that music while inside your four-wheeler.. my answer to all of this is simple:
...
I am a pedestrian. And I'm proud of it.
...

Experts say getting active for  just 150 minutes a week – doing “moderate-intensity” aerobic exercise such as moderate hiking or brisk walking – leads to most of these benefits.
Let me make this clear for all of us:
What’s moderate exercise? You can talk, but you can’t sing during the activity. Vigorous? You can’t say more than a few words with pausing for breath. When you are doing moderate exercise, you can continue for a long time, and you are breathing rhythmically. Hiking is a great way to start exercising: great for absolute beginners in weight loss, it's good as a post-injury recovery exercise regiment; it's also great for those with weaker knees, less energetic, elderly..
Being out in nature, away from the business of our daily lives and technology, can allow people to connect with themselves and nature in a way that brings about peace and a sense of well-being.

How do we star? What do we need?
Are we "one of those people" who brave the outdoors? 
Let's give this booklet a look, and then decide!


 Meet the Rupe family.
We are going to hike alongside them, watch & learn from their examples :)



















You know, you can always pack a light bag, put it on your back and spend just one day, just a few hours, outdoors. No one said that spending the night out is an obligatory part of hiking (some of you prefer bug-free and cozy sleep - with no bears whatsoever, except on Animal Planet)  :)
...
Have fun. Stay safe. Tread lightly.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. That is an interesting booklet. As far as I'm willing to rough it is in a camper/motor home. lol

    I went camping with a tent twice when I was younger and it rained each time. So no more camping for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He-he Dawn,
      I bet you correlate hiking with bad weather, but it needn't be so. I have had some rather muddy days, and windy times - but, on the other hand, I had some gloriously sunny walks that made me love nature even more.
      It's all about wanting to give yourself to the serenity of natural surroundings (and now I sound like a Shaman.) :)

      Many hugs
      Marija

      Delete
  2. I love a good walk. And it's definitely better without bears... the closest thing we have here is badgers, and I wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of those, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim,

      I knew YOU would love this post, since you enjoy walks a lot. I would love to join in one of your walks, since your images show such an array of artwork, amazing nature, great architecture... and with the pleasure of your company, I'm sure it would have been a BLAST, right? (and afterwards, some tea... oh, that would be majestic!)
      Badgers are aggressive little beasts. Many folks don't believe me, but I've seen their fighting spirit, and it was not nice. Not nice at all. Bears are grand and scary, you KNOW that you must stay away from them.. badgers are tricky. Wild boars as well (seen one last year, fortunately, it was far from me - but, they can RUN fast, you know?) :)

      Give my best to Pete and the kitties!
      Marija

      Delete