Search This Blog

Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Snack Smart: Peanut butter banana choco-chip muffins


Hello everybody.

You know, there are days when you feel the strong need to have a heavy breakfast; something like a Börek (Turkish pronunciation: [bøˈɾek]; also burek and other variants) filled with shredded apples and cinnamon - and it's FINE. Börek is eaten for breakfast, lunch, for a snack, or packed and eaten cold on the road. It's varied, versatile, delicious, inexpensive and, in many of its forms, vegetarian. It does have a bad reputation due to the fact that it is caloric - meaning: quite "heavy" on your mental calculator. :)

In case you chose not to have a pastry morning meal,
here's a great muffin recipe:


Let me continue with... pastry:
In Serbia, Macedonia, Croatia, Montenegro and Slovenia, burek is made from layers of dough, alternating with layers of other fillings in a circular baking pan and then topped with a last layer of dough. Traditionally it may be baked with no filling (known as "empty", in our language: "prazan"), with stewed minced meat and onions, or with cheese. Modern bakeries offer cheese and spinach, apple, sour cherries, potato, mushroom and pizza-burek, as well.
According to nutritional data, one "serving" of this is around 200 grams, and "weights" about 550 kcal (just in case you're calculating). :) ..but the taste, together with a cup of yogurt, is well wort it.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Those muffins sound awesome! Thank you for sharing another lovely, healthy recipe with us, my dear friend.

    Many hugs & happy Thursday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      Muffins always seem to look amazing. Alas, I have used my trusty muffin-tin for so long, it's no longer holding form - must get me another one.

      M.

      Delete
  2. I'm eating nothing but fruit for both breakfast and lunch at the moment. Too many churros (fried doughnut sticks) for breakfast on my Spanish holiday... At least it's a good time of year for eating fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mim!
      I'm pretty much fearing the similar thing. Knowing myself, I guess there will be lot of ice-cream and crispy-treats.
      Churros - something I haven't had in it's original form, but we do have something similar, it's also a deep-fried sweet pastry. And, I'm loving it.

      M.

      Delete