Search This Blog

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Doing your summer laundry, you say?


Hello everybody.

I hope this Tuesday finds you well, and that the work-week is not loaded with heavy burden on your shoulders. Today, I have decided to post an article that has been lying around for a long while - because there's never going to be the right time to post about laundry duty.

How did people do their laundry back in time?




As for us over here (yeah, I am in Europe) I feel that I need to reply this author's comment. Dear folks, our old ones have not waited six months for the next wash-day. Oh, no. Actually, wash.day was (so to say) carved in stone - every household knew when it was, every member of the family knew where to leave his/hers laundry to be washed. As a matter of fact, we still like to say "if it's not in the bin, it will not get washed"  :)
Another thing you haven't known: over here, for many, many generations, we have cooked out tea-towels (dish towels, the thing.. - you know: the towels you use to wipe things around kitchen). Many new-age housewives nave abandoned this practice, and they prefer placing their towels in the washing machine and let the machine do the work. Not me. No, no. I soak mine overnight in cold water and detergent. Then they go into the POT with detergent and boils because.. the "strongest" work that my machine can do is 95°C (that is 203F), yet when I bring the "cauldron" to the boil, it reaches the magic number of 100°C - and I like that. 
I'll let you in on a secret ingredient for making the towels white: one heaping table spoon of baking soda per 5 liters of water, in your boiling mixture.
....
How about you? Any wash-day stories?
Marija

5 comments:

  1. My grandmother had a wringer washer up till about 1971 and at that time I was too young to help so ever since then I've had the desire to do a load of laundry in one of those machines. Do you think that's odd? lol

    And I love laundry dried on the clothes line. I try to use the clothes line as much as possible in the warmer months, but between the cold parts of the year and rainy weather, I don't get to use the clothes line as much as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dawn,
      Clothes line is an amazing thing for drying clothes. It's natural, it lest the clothes get into form on it's natural way.. it's great. Over here, we use lines all the time - except in winter (that is when we have to hang our laundry everywhere - around the house) :)

      M.

      Delete
  2. Over here, at least from the 19th century, traditionally Monday was wash day, and would involve boiling up water in a big copper pot. To be honest, I'm grateful for the convenience of a washing machine because I can't imagine having to do everything by hand (especially my husband's work shirts).

    It's been raining loads in the UK, and I am so annoyed as I can't get anything dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rain.. such a dull thing.
      I think the invention of the washing machine was one of the greatest gifts us, the women, could have gotten in out history (plus the sewing machine). It's so time and labor saving! And not to mention that some of the laundry is really not meant for us to hand-wash.

      M.

      Delete
  3. That's so cool about the fact that you still boil some of your linens. Way to go, my dear! I don't mind laundry - and if line drying is involved, I downright love it (alas, we don't have a yard that facilitates such, much to my chagrin) - and follow in the footsteps of our foremothers with a dedicated laundry day each week (albeit with other loads as needed through the other six days). Thankfully, unlike those who came before us, it rarely takes me the entire day and leave lots of time to get other things done in the process, too (thanks to the marvelous of modern washers and dryers).

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete