Search This Blog

Thursday, 19 May 2016

Who's afraid of lightning? Who's hiding on the sound of thunder?


Hello

The fear of lightning is called astraphobia.
But: what is that you are afraid of? What IS the lightning?
Lightning is a giant spark of electricity in the atmosphere between clouds, the air, or the ground. In the early stages of development, air acts as an insulator between the positive and negative charges in the cloud and between the cloud and the ground. 
Lightning can occur between opposite charges within the thunderstorm cloud (intra-cloud lightning) or between opposite charges in the cloud and on the ground (cloud-to-ground lightning).
Lightning is one of the oldest observed natural phenomena on earth. It can be seen in volcanic eruptions, extremely intense forest fires, surface nuclear detonations, heavy snowstorms, in large hurricanes, and obviously, thunderstorms.

I have found an interesting article about
this phenomena,
published in 1950's National Geographic magazine:























Let's be honest: it's not the light we're afraid of, right?
Lightning causes thunder! 
Thunder can be heard up to 40 kilometers (25 miles) away from the lightning discharge. At these distances, thunder sounds like a low rumble because the higher frequency pitches are more easily absorbed by the surrounding environment, and the sound waves set off by the lightning discharge have different arrival times.
As my grandpa used to teach me, about why NOT fearing "the thunder" - by the time your ears hear the sound of thunder, and by the time the ground shakes.. lightning has long gone. :)
.........
Are you a Science-Buff?
Marija

2 comments:

  1. Definitely! Science and history are by far the two subjects that I read the greatest number of books on, as each intrigues and speaks to me so very deeply. I've never feared thunder or lightning at all. In fact, assuming I'm not at risk from them, I love a great storm and can usually sense, about 9.5 out of 10 times, when one is coming, because a few hours before, I will get an epic and otherwise inexplicable boost in my own personal energy levels that has created some truly awesome surges of creativity and productivity alike for me over the years.

    Many thanks for this terrific post, dear Marija.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha; Jess!
      I hear you (loud as a thunder) :)
      I never miss-out an incoming storm, but t as nothing to do with my energy levels. You see, when you have a: surgery scar, chronic head-ache or an old joint injury (later is mine), you "feel" the rain coming, in your "special spot". I'm like a old-tale weather gal: touch of my kneese, and I can tell you will it rain soon. :)

      M.

      Delete