Search This Blog

Wednesday, 25 May 2016

Burda Wednesday: April 1959, part II


Hello everybody

Back in time, today would be Youth Day, in our former country, once much larger, once known by many and once called Yugoslavia.

Surely, we can at least acknowledge it:
HAPPY Youth Day!

Youth Day or The Relay of Youth (Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian and Slovenian Štafeta mladosti, Serbian Cyrillic Штафета младости) was celebrated throughout the former Yugoslavia on May 25.
This was also a celebration of Josip Broz Tito’s birthday although, in fact, he was born on May 7, 1892. His birthday was celebrated on May 25, because his troops were attacked by Nazis on May 25, day of his birth found on his forged personal documents. On that day, he managed to evade the Germans after the Raid on Drvar (Operation Rösselsprung), an airborne assault outside his Drvar headquarters in Bosnia.
In the weeks preceding the date youth ran a relay around the country and on his birthday Tito was ceremonially presented with the baton. The baton, which had passed through all major cities, contained a symbolic birthday message, ostensibly from the youth of the whole country.

After all this Ex-yu history,
let's take a look at some fashion history..
..back to Burda we go:

We start off with "practical dresses"
I'll write about it at the end.

Everyday dresses - "easy to maintain"
(and that is important!)

Tow pages of...

... "great ideas for full-figured"

"In Biarritz each woman is admired"

Spring-time suits.
Airy, light and versatile. 

An interesting fabric texture. 

Nothing beats the "white blouse"
it's a forever-fashion item!

Oh, take a look at those ruffles.
(ironing that is not an "easy maintenance)  :)
...but I still love it!

"Quickly sewn"  outfit.
for those of us pressed with time.

Simple shape, easy pattern
done in just a few hours.

Ehmmm, I'm still not used to seeing
such "points" in brassiere. :)

Two words
"perfect pleats"



...

Back to the beginning of this Burda magazine, where we've been introduced to a couple of dresses with a strange name and purpose. What is a practical-dress?
To most of the women out there, a "practical dress" is a term that sound not-believable.

Plain and boring?!
No, it's: practical and versatile!
(mind me, this is REALLY what I look like at work)

"Practical", sadly, often implies dull and one can well do without "dull" at this time. I like a good dress, a simple cut, plain and single colored. It goes beyond saying that it's a staple. A simple dress generally stays where you put it (and, when you need to spend the whole day in it - this matters much more than it's design or it's pattern). It also has the essential pockets – because how can you be practical without a pocket?
I suppose what I'm saying, in my roundabout way, is that simplicity & practicality are just fine and that we can wear dresses and skirts ALL the time. 
Why?!
Because they are feminine and easily portray the fact that I am a woman. 
This is honestly my strongest argument as to why I wear skirts and dresses. In today’s culture people seem to be extremely confused as to which gender they are ..or at least many act and look confused (please note: I have nothing against LGBT community, and I let them be). I am a female and I’m blessed to be one. Nothing wrong with being feminine. That is all. :)
...
Do you prefer your dresses posh, glamorous or practical?
Marija

6 comments:

  1. I like those practical dresses. I guess most of my dresses are practical; I like pretty things but in the end I'd rather be able to do things I enjoy than look pretty for other people. The first, third and fourth dresses you've shown are excellent.

    The main problem I have with people here in the UK is that so many of them are so scruffy... seriously, we've had schools send out letters asking parents not to wear pyjamas when dropping their children off! And supermarkets, too, have had to ban the wearing of pyjamas. I always notice the difference when I go to Spain; people dress better there. And while I don't think people should all have to dress alike, taking a little care over one's appearance does show self-respect. If a person can't even be bothered to shower and get dressed before leaving the house, it suggests to me that they don't think there's much potential in their life, and that's very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mim,
      I have seen the "pajama" issue on the news (on internet). The problem seem to be occurring in UK and in USA, where moms and dads tend to their kid's needs (lunches, dressing up and so on) and fail to take a moment to "properly tidy" themselves.
      Over here, that is.. well, moms and dads that bring kids to and from school take MORE care af themselves (and the vehicle they are using to commute), and I've seen kids with unwashed faces entering the kindergarten - as I walk pass by one on my way to work. That is ALSO not fair, right? Mom wearing full-on makeup, and a small boy still having his sleepy-hair.
      Hey, but there ARE sloppy ones.
      (heck, seeing what I wore yesterday to the gym.. what a shame I was, fortunately no one was there to see me, since it was raining) - but no excuses!

      M.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the fascinating history lesson. I really enjoy learning more about your country, past and present, dear Marija. Many thanks, too, for another fabulous edition of Burda Wednesday. I will be daydreaming about those gorgeous summertime perfect blouses for ages - especially the ruffled stunner!

    Many hugs & happy tail end of May wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess.
      I always try to stay away from poining out my political and social opinion on this blog. But, some history always finds the way to "mingle" into these pages...
      I'm glad you have liked it.

      Huge hug
      M.

      Delete
  3. You look so nice! I think your sleek and simple style really suits you.

    I've switched to wearing only dresses and skirts as I find them more comfortable. I can't stand feeling constricted in pants. As an experiment, I went through the winter in skirts and dresses to see if I could handle the cold weather like that. No problem with the right layers, tights, leggings, boots.

    Also, I am happier looking more feminine. I am now 56 and a few years ago I noticed how it was hard to tell with a lot of older women whether they were male or female from behind with their short hair, jeans, sneakers, sweatshirts, and I didn't want to end up looking like that. So I started growing my hair long and eased into wearing dresses and skirts which I now wear exclusively. I still own jeans and slacks for just in case I really to wear them for grubby work or going for a hike in the woods or something.

    I have mostly practical clothing as I lead a non-posh and non-glamorous life. I refuse to buy anything you have to dry clean unless it's something like a wool winter coat. Simple dresses, feminine t-shirts and cardigans, long denim and jersey skirts.

    I am also very overweight so I think I look better in dresses and skirts that glide over my fatness rather than jeans that show my contours.

    I remember that post you did with the vintage article about styles and what they say about you. It seems like almost every female dresses more or less like the one who had given up. I think that was how she was described. It seems like all I see is drab colors like black, olive green, charcoal gray from head-to-toe, jeans, yoga pants, messy t-shirts, hoodies. Just so dreary! At least that's how it is in my area.

    Basically, if a man could wear it, I don't even though it's made for a woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for wonderful and hones post, Dawn!
      There are many women who aren't living—they are just existing. This is a form of self-abuse. Women often wear their exhaustion as a badge of honor - sadly, they should be aware that no one will acknowledge them for such a behavior.
      These days, when women look at the reality of how overwhelmed they feel in their own lives, they begin to feel like they are not good or worthy enough.
      ...and that makes me sad.
      Fight for yourself.
      Fight for being happy.
      WE all DESERVE it. :)

      M.

      Delete