Search This Blog

Thursday, 14 April 2016

Would you fill the tank of your car with cheap gas? No.


Hello everyone

I don’t have time to exercise. I’m just too busy!” - we’ve all told ourselves this lie before: if we had more time, we could get into shape.

So, this post is somewhat personal.

Too busy to exercise. Too stressed to eat right. I used to tell myself that same lie. I avoided mirrors because I was embarrassed when I saw myself. I was fat and out of shape and I hated it.
We say, “I’ll start exercising next month or next week or tomorrow.” But tomorrow never comes, does it? That’s because we’re just as busy—or even busier—tomorrow or next week or whenever, and so we put it off again and again until it’s no longer on our radar at all. 
But of course tomorrow never comes. There is only today.
My story:
Growing up I was an active kid, I was sporty in my teens and was a outgoing gal. I was not overweight but I always had a belly. I was raised to always finish what was on my plate. It did not matter if I did not like the food or was full; you finished your plate of food. In our family home there was no candy or junk food ever. But, when I was in my late teens, I would sneak to the corner store and eat bags of candy as a way of dealing with my anxiety.
One thing lead to another.
I went to university. I told myself "It’s the 20 pounds that all the gals put on when they move here as a result of studying and partying", and that is a procrastination. The reality was: I could not bend over and touch my shins, let alone my toes - in my late twenties?! 
The reality hit home and I went back to what I had always done to lose weight. I started cycling again. Also, I went back to my old eating habits:
  • Eat three small meals and two snacks a day.
  • Your lunch should be your largest meal with protein, vegetable, carbohydrate and a little fat.
  • Dinner contains protein and vegetable.
  • Don’t eat after 19.00 (that's 7  PM).
  • Drink 2 to 3 liters of water a day.

Eating "right" is as simple as that; I just treat food as fuel (but, to be honest, it does still takes self-control to maintain this lifestyle). It IS a lifestyle. Going old way, the way they've taught us in the kindergarten :)

...or, basically: use the OLD SCHOOL leaflet/manual:









Losing weight requires self-discipline. It requires a daily commitment to stick to whatever diet or exercise program you’ve chosen, even when well-meaning friends or the culture around you repeatedly offers you unhealthy choices. 
It took me a couple years to lose those extra pounds of fat, but that was four years ago, and I’ve kept the weight off and am never turning back. I’m entering my thirties this year, but I’m in the best shape of my life—by far. And it’s only going to get better from here.

The MOST IMPORTANT THING is: 
While it can be amusing to mock fat girls, I respect anyone 
– male or female – 
who transforms their body for the better.

Take care of yourselves.
Honor yourselves. AND have a GREAT day.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Given how late I get home, if I didn't eat after 7pm, some days I wouldn't eat dinner at all!

    I'm fat. I can either beat myself up for being fat, or I can get on with life. I'd rather enjoy life than spend my time hating myself. (Though I do try to do my morning walks and eat well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Mim.
      You are CURVY and well-shaped (I told you once, I don't mind telling you over and over: your body is well-figured, there are "things where things should be"). To me, your build, as might look larger than mine, is better shaped. You look like a female - ad not like ironing-board! :)

      M.

      Delete
  2. I never would've guessed you ever had a weight problem. You look like one of those naturally slim people who can eat and eat and never gain an ounce.

    That's a cute vintage food guide. I think that's what I grew up with, the four basic food groups. Before that they had 7 food groups, which made a lot of sense in my opinion. IIRC, there were multiple fruit and veggie groups. I think a citrus/vitamin C group, a yellow veg/vitamin A group, and then the other fruits and veggies. Something like that anyway. That way you didn't end up fulfilling your fruit and veggie quota by simply eating bananas and green beans. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dawn,
      This guide is pretty much how we were taught to eat. Back when I was a child, we carried our tin-mugs to kindergarten, so we can have our regular doses of liquid (milk, tea..), we were also NEVER let get out of the house without having our FULL breakfast.
      ..
      I am,by far, not that "eat all you want" kind of person. Alas, due to my build and my silly ovaries, I'm one of those who tend to get overweight (fat on all the WRONG places) kind of people.
      That's something you learn to live with.. :)

      M.

      Delete