Search This Blog

Monday, 18 April 2016

Dig, pull, yank.. make your work worth, because no matter how small, a garden is a gem.


Hello everybody

"Odd as I am sure it will appear to some, I can think of no better form of personal involvement in the cure of the environment than that of gardening. A person who is growing a garden, if he is growing it organically, is improving a piece of the world". - Wendell Berry


Spring. We have said it all.
A time to boost yourself up, to start some HUGE plans, to roll up your sleeves and wipe the dust of your pruning sheers. Rolling up the sleeves, I believe is the best way to describe the feeling we get when sun finally gets strong enough to pull us from our rooms and into the Great Outdoors.
With strong sense of "I know what I want" we (oh, myself well included!) march out from the shed and into our garden. That's where it all sort of grinds into a halt. Because: before we start making our floral art. we must have a "blank canvas".
Since I have been doing small-scale flower gardens all my life, I have a ritual:I like to read some words of the wise in order to prepare myself for hours of.. well: yanking, pulling, digging..

Why make a garden?
Take a look at this:







I love my garden, and I love working in it. To potter with green growing things, watching each day to see the dear, new sprouts come up, is like taking a hand in creation, I think. Just now my garden is like faith - the substance of things hoped for.” -  L.M. Montgomery

Just a bit more inspiration:



I have been burning daylight this past weekend. I've rolled up my sleeves, actually, to be honest: it was so warm, there was no need to having sleeves (as it turns out: there was a need to put on some sunscreen, but I've forgotten, and I'm now feeling the consequences). 
April has been exceptionally warm, and hot days hit us by surprise. We're speeding up to keep track with this sudden weather change.. both us and the bees have been madly in rush.

I don't own a lawn-mower. I don't need one.
I need plastic garbage bags, and a strong back, for all the yanking.
Two days, three bags (and two large cans) later:
we are grass-free.

Have you got some gardening done? Please, tell me all about it.
Marija

5 comments:

  1. Such a sweet, beautiful post and ode to the timeless art (for it really is an art when done well) of gardening. You passion for it always fans the flames of my own, even though I do not currently live in a house with a garden (one day!). I hope that yours is bursting to live and that it will have a bumper crop of anything - flowers, vegetables, fruits, herbs, etc - that you've planted.

    Many hugs & happy wishes for the second half of April,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our neighbour finally had the fence replaced and our garden looks so much better. We repainted the other fence and the shed recently too.

    It's lovely being able to sit in the garden for meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my!! How I love to read these "old" gardening articles etc. I'm so glad you posted these, they're wonderful and I'm going to come back to them again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's still too cool here to plant anything but I should get going on cleaning up and enriching my garden beds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying so hard to get a garden going in the city we have a few tiny seedling struggling and 2 pink flamingoes

    ReplyDelete