Search This Blog

Tuesday, 12 January 2016

Fix it. Fix everything.. around your home.


Hello everybody.

Last night, we had a storm. A massive one. I was asleep, but something has woken me up (the "charging" of the storm's eye), one glance at my phone, it was 23:33. And, right at that moment - a blackout!
..
No one wants to go through a storm. But knowing a few things about what to do when the dust settles will take you one step closer to restoring your life. 
Having some basic home-repair knowledge is not "men's job" any more. Right now, a lot of folks over here are outside, fixing and mending. Alas, one family can't mend no more, since the entire front part of the house has collapsed - know this: it was in a derelict state, and this was bound to happen when you neglect your household.

To my surprise,
I had this booklet for quite a while
(and what better time to share it?)




















Since I live alone, here's what my dad made sure I remember:
1. Make sure your yard drains properly. After the rain, the most important thing is to rid of all the water as fast as you can (or, as fast as Nature can)
2. Secure your yard: Reinforce your fencing if needed. Store or tie down anything that might blow and cause damage in high wind - make sure your yard can withstand the next "hit"
3. Examine rood-tiles, windows and doors. Make sure they are as they should be; if not- repair at once.
...and: fix your leaks before it rains again. :)
..
No worries, my home is OK. And so am I.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you and your home are okay.

    I tend to get professionals in for repairs as I'm terrible at them - we're about to have the back door and windows replaced, which will be lovely. But I do keep an eye out for repairs that need doing, fix problems fast or they just cause more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are OK.
      For major repairs we do get repair-man; but those come costly when you call them out for a simple thing. So, knowing a bit of everything and being a Jane-of-all-trades does come in handy.

      M.

      Delete
  2. Sweet dear, I'm very relieved to hear that neither yourself nor your home was injured during this violent storm. I adore the thunder and lightning aspect of storms, but not the damage that the ensuing wind and rain (and sometimes the lightning itself) can cause. Fingers crossed you aren't hit with any more storms or blizzards this winter and that you can enjoy the tail end of your holiday season in peace.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hope nature hears your voice, my dear.
      We are suppose to get a blizzard this weekend, but I don't think we'll be hit hard by it. All in all, I will let you all know about it.

      M.

      Delete