Search This Blog

Wednesday, 27 January 2016

Burda Wednesday: November 1958, part III


Hello everybody

Here's a bit of history:
1950s fashion was regulated by three C’s – code, conformity and consumerism. Emphasis was on practical but attractive house-dresses, not only for household chores but suitable for quick errands or daytime running.

For all of you out there
who long for some winter-magic...
here's an issue that features fur, mittens and heavy coats!

Ski-wear
they look like elfs to me. :)

..and then they added a bow
and made everything stunning 

Shapeless coats.

Heavy coats, leather gloves,
fur collars (mind me: make that fur a FAKE one, please)
and light but sturdy shoes. 

Kids looking less like a small adults.

... and a slow beginning of a teenager!

Great looking omelette;
a way to impress gussets while cooking on a budget.

Sleek and simple rings
(just what I prefer)

Gosh!
A love story - what a cover-image!


Advertisement for your hand-work:
"Yes, this dress was made with Orion"

That kid has an amazing gloves!

For a great shape
one must have shape-wear.

I have nothing to say on
lady-with-pineapple-head :)

Zone out, with Telefunken..
the birth of TV, a friend of mine,
whom I grew up with. :)


Oh, yes.. ever wonder who to "blame" for a shift in shape?
It's Balenciaga He was influential and in the mid-1950s he created flawlessly cut clothing with loose, stand-away backs with fitted fronts and shorter sleeves. He introduced the sack dress, a shapeless shift, which was far removed from the hourglass silhouette that had endured for a decade.
About sacks - you love them or you don't... you brave them out, or you stay away. Sack-dresses are those pieces of clothing that cause opposite opinions.
For some reason, lately - I chose to brave them, wear them and.. like them.
..
Have a wonderful day!
Marija

3 comments:

  1. What cute ski togs in this issue! Just adorable.

    Telefunken. What a great name for a tv company.

    I wish I knew what the little comics in these magazines say. I wonder if I'd think they were funny or would something get lost in translation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Dawn..
      Let me tell you, I'd love to give a translation a try; but the letters are blurry.. so, until I find one that is clear enough for me to read out - we'll stay in the un-known.

      M.

      Delete
  2. That hat with the plaits! Such fun.

    Sacks are much kinder to my shape than nipped in waists, so I like them too.

    ReplyDelete