Search This Blog

Tuesday, 8 December 2015

There's no such thing as a "dumb animal", on the other hand.... :)


Hello everyone

What's the matter with this post's title? Nothing. It's just one of those days when I think less about all things "vintage" and more of  things of "nature".

Let me explain the title:


When I was growing up, I always had at least two cats one dog at all times. They were much more than helpful when dealing with pest-control and trespassers - they were, to me, what an imaginary friends are to apartment-bound kids. Actually, I used to have one of my dogs following me on every adventure (not much my parents could do about it); I have helped one of my cats with a difficulty in giving birth, I have cried over and over again, every time I've lost them to a speeding car on the motorway in front of my house.. 

Chose your priorities! :)

Buying, getting or rescuing a pet is something that has to be well thought about. Many people rush in only to find that they made the wrong decision afterwards. The choice you make does not only have consequences for your own life but it is also a choice you make for another living being.

Here's one creature you may know:

Remember the image on the right?
Proper care, patience and understanding over does wonders.

An unwanted animal is a very unhappy animal, even if it's physical needs are being met. Every year thousands of dogs, cats, rabbits, tortoises, hamsters are being thrown out on the streets by their owners because reaching the wrong decision was so easy.
Being the considerate and responsible person you are, you will want to make sure that you only get a pet if you can give him or her a good life with you. It takes some calculations and some thinking before you get to embrace your pet - as much as any one us struggles with "I just want to take him home" because "it's so cure and cuddly" syndrome, a "home" must be prepared, supportive and ready for some animal-caused changes.

Yes, not to forget: the cute & cuddly.. 
usually grows up. :)

Šarka:
1. needs to eat - EVERY day
2. will need to eat even more, as she will grow even bigger
3. needs regular veterinary CARE, vitamins and snacks
4. breaks and tears things if not kept away from her
5. barks in the middle of the night
6. chases anything within her eye-reach
7. needs petting and playing & a space for that
There are days (and nights) when I can not bear the sound of barking, and there are times when I spot the mess in the yard. There are days when she pulls herself next to me quietly because she knows I had a rough time at work, and there are times I have to chose to buy something for myself, or for her.
I know there are folks out there who want pets so much,. they don't stop to consider the things I just wrote; and I also know that, in many cases it's the matter of kids falling for the kitty or puppy - but not much interested in a cat or a dog.. and the truth is: they all grow up. Even hamsters. :)  

The thing is:
A pet is for life!

The food need to be provided, the check-ups must be done. Primary, secondary vaccinations.. For the next ten years (and more) there is an everyday potty-cleaning to be done, and walks to be taken. Your pet does not understand the "I can't be bothered" attitude; because you are the one it loves.
Bottom line is: you are the object of your pet's affections. So: be affectionate! 

OK.. let's not go that far! :)

Pets provide us with loyalty, companionship, love and affection, as well as the many physical and psychological benefits. The least we can do to repay this is ensure that we keep them in the best of health. A healthy pet is a happy pet and a happy pet can help us enjoy a much fuller and more rewarding life.

....
Yeah, this way a bit different.
Marija

6 comments:

  1. On every possible level, yes, a million times, yes. This post is so wise and wonderful. I feel, and have always felt, exactly the same way and couldn't fathom not bringing a pet into my life for (its) life. You have done an amazing thing for your dog by giving her the gift of a beautiful, safe, happy life and I know that she appreciates it with every fiber - and fur - of her sweet being.

    Giant hugs for you both,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jess.
      Honestly, thank you. Most of the times my posts are somewhat private, but usually fashion or food oriented (or I write about interior design, even though I have a home now, design is so inspirational). This time I wrote on a very important issue, about something that get tucked-up under the carpet over here.. so, to see good response, feels great.

      Many hugs
      M.

      Delete
  2. Growing up we always had a dog and some cats. They were my best friends and I loved each one so much. I've only had cats since I became an adult. Right now I have a little gray cat who is almost 15 years old. I adopted her just over a year and a half ago, about a week after my 15 year old cat died. She is my little sweetheart and constant companion.

    For me, a house isn't truly a home unless there's a lovely little furry critter to welcome you home.

    Your pup has grown into quite the beautiful dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so true.
      All your words have hit the post, dear. I have had cats all my life (and still do, at my mom's house), so I know about their affections quite much.

      M.

      Delete
  3. VERY well written, that. We're 100% committed to our pets, and their needs always come first. We also understand that animals do animal things - the cats will scratch the furniture, or try to get on shelves, that's what cats do.

    Our kittens are rescue kittens, and were very timid when we got them, but they've grown into loving, playful little animals because we had patience with them and treated them gently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim, dear..
      If there's something I've spotted right away, after I have found out about you, it is that you are a devoted animal-person. I saw the images of kittens, and have followed your progress with them. I am SO PROUD of you.. fellow rescuer.. :)

      Many hugs from foggy town
      M.

      Delete