Search This Blog

Tuesday, 22 December 2015

"Safety first" - you have only one pair of eyes!


Hello there.

Remember those times, when we were kids, and our elders would give us the speech about our reading in dim light. It was something like "You CAN see NOW, but mark my words: you have only one pair of eyes" ..well, at least that's what they used to tell me all the time.

This is a cautionary tale!

..and these are precaution. :)

The truth of the matter is, as much as we don't like being wrong and being told things by those older than us, these eyes are the only ones we get. Only few of us will spend their entire lives without any worry about them - but, for most of us.. it's something to be aware of.
My personal touch to this story is the fact that, in my family, we have a hereditary factor for losing one's eyesight slowly and without return.. by the illness called "glaucoma". Basically, the doctors call it the "silent thief" here, because it creeps up on you for years, and takes away your sight slowly. 

So, for me.. this tale is to be told
with an exclamation mark





“The soul, fortunately, has an interpreter - often an unconscious but still a faithful interpreter - in the eye.”  ― Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

.
.
.

..and there is NOTHING to be ashamed of
when wearing glasses!


Don't take this as a "telling off" kind of post; this is one of those times when I read something that reminds me of a thing I'd like to share with you.. and it's a bit personal.
Have a great Tuesday.
Marija

6 comments:

  1. My eyes are rubbish, and get worse every time they're tested - at least it's not glaucoma though. That must be really worrying. Do you have your eyes checked fairly regularly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mim,
      I have my check-ups regularly. I have had been to the doctor's ever since I was a kid (when the pressure-measuring tools still looked like medieval torture machines) :)

      M.

      Delete
  2. Your glasses are very flattering. I hope you are lucky and don't get glaucoma. Is there any treatment for glaucoma?

    I've worn glasses for near-sightedness since my early 20s and now that I am middle age, I need glasses to read, too. I think I am due for a new prescription as lately it seems that I need something stronger for reading.

    Last year I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in my right eye. It's very minor so the doctor has me on special vitamins for it. I don't know what the treatment is if it gets worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn
      Eyesight deteriorates slowly. I am so sorry to hear about your case, blurry vision makes the world looks much less easy to cope with.. I know. Just stay diligent, and make sure to fight it's progress.

      M.

      Delete
  3. Let us hope with all our might that your vision hangs in there and does not develop this wretched unkind condition, sweet dear.

    Many hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so, too.
      Thank you for you great wish.. if there's anyone listening, may that wish come true... I only have one pair of eyes.. :)

      M.

      Delete