Search This Blog

Tuesday, 3 November 2015

Garden Guide, WWII leaflet: November


Hello everybody

November may not be the sunniest month of the year's wheel, but we should not fail to see it's beauty, for it has a thing or two to show us. Yesterday, for instance, we had the first frost of the season.  The morning was clear, the air was sharp.. and underneath my feet, a pale white web of frost has covered the still green grass - majestic view.


The year is nearly done, growing season is no more (unless you prolong it in a greenhouse or grow some plants and herbs indoors). Now is the time to prep for winter - those sturdy nature's gifts may last you a whole winter, if stored properly.








Figs are now all gone; frost has gave them the last bite. Maybe (just maybe) some will still hang onto mother-branches and brave out the chilly mornings, but I doubt they'll give out much flavor. So, can can call it "quits" in my garden.
Except, there's just one more task for me: way back in early spring I have placed six small tubers in the ground. Jerusalem artichokes. Not only have they survived,m they thrived... and grown, flowered as well. Now it's time to dig most of them out; but I'll leave a few - and, hopefully next year there'll be another batch. That's the miracle of Nature!

....
How's your gardening been going on?
Have you got any Jerusalem artichoke recipe for me?
Marija

2 comments:

  1. Jerusalem artichokes are so under appreciated, IMO. I'm a fan and think they're marvelous in soups (purred), stews and chowders (chunks/pieces), used to extend the bread in poultry stuffing, and blended with potatoes (onions or leeks optional) in mashed and hashed dishes.

    Happy November gardening, my dear friend!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been ignoring the garden - I don't want to open the back door in case the kittens escape.

    We usually turn jerusalem artichokes into soup, though it's my husband's recipe and I'm not entirely sure what goes into it. They're quite nice roasted in the oven too.

    ReplyDelete