Search This Blog

Wednesday, 11 November 2015

BURDA Wednesday: August 1958, part II


Hello everybody

Today is marked in my calendar as "Day off", since it's Armistice Day. Today we mark the armistice signed between the Allies of World War I and Germany at Compiègne, France, for the cessation of hostilities on the Western Front of World War I, which took effect at eleven o'clock in the morning—the "eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month" of 1918. (thanks, Wikipedia!)
Over here, it's a State Holiday, and the offices are closed. So, this post comes not only with lots of Burda sunshine, but also with my smile.

Here's what was new in August 1958:

The popular thing was to easily switch from
serious to summer(y) look

The ideal suits.
I say it just might be so.

I can never say "no" to the red umbrella

Shirt dresses are back on,
but mind this: there should be some "pop up" detail,
like the leopard waist.

Both so delicate and classy
(spot the three buttons in the bottom part of the blue dress - lovely)

These are divine!
Can you imagine summer while wearing this?
Oh, it would be so wonderful.

Striped dress sings of summer;
the deep dark blue ensemble is such a statement suit;
I'd wear it in no time.. and get promoted? :)

Here's something I like, but not wear:
knitted dresses.
I had a misfortune of owning one such dress 
and it gave up on me - stretched at the bottom and looked sagged and sad.

Great, bright, colors.
Something I absolutely support.

Preparing for school
with an amazing style.

*ghasp*
Look at this red dress. She has everything a gal needs and wants:
the shape, the style, the cut, the pattern...

Knitting for the young ones?
Here's some inspiration.

More knitting
...and a detergent
(honestly, having a quality washing detergent is important)

"Ah!" for the petticoat

Sun is shining bright, and we're finding ourselves in the strangest of the situations these past few days: after the regular "autumn" atmosphere, the foggy mornings and rainy days.. we're having what I can best describe as "second spring". The temperatures are abnormally high (technically, we don't mind not being cold) and we're worrying plants might get "confused", start blooming and that the sudden return of chill will hurt them.
The life in a small town is like that: no matter the season, we're looking at the sky and judging just what it's thinking and what are it's plans for us. Hopefully, sky will smile back. :)

Have a great day.
And: happy Armistice Day!
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Today is Veterans Day here in the USA. It started out as Armistice Day and was changed to Veterans Day in 1954 and we use it to honor all war veterans, living and dead. In May we also have Memorial Day to honor those killed in action.

    Wow, this edition of Burda has so many lovely outfits! I'd wear the red-on-red striped dress now if I were to be lucky enough to have it. And that blue sweater dress is such a gorgeous shade! And it looks so soft and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dawn,
      I know about Veterans Day, because my first cousin has moved to USA over 5 years ago, and is now married there.. so his holidays are now somewhat different, and he always writes about it. :)

      Many hugs
      Marija

      Delete
  2. I hadn't realised that Armistice Day was a State holiday in Serbia. We have a two-minute silence at 11am, but most of the national commemoration happens on the Sunday nearest to Armistice Day. It's always very moving.

    I have lots of patterns for knitted dresses but have never made one. I think if I did, I'd carefully sew some tape vertically up the back to reduce unwanted stretching - a saggy bottom seems to be a common problem with form-fitting knitted dresses, though not with more flared styles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shirtwaist dresses here really jumped out at me in particular. This classic style of garment is one of my favourite and most frequently worn fashion choices the whole year through. They're usually very comfy and while causal by mid-century standards, are "fancy" to most (outside of the vintage community) these days, so one looks dressed up without even necessarily aiming to while sporting a shirtwaist dress (which is never a bad thing! :)).

    Many hugs & happy wishes for this new week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete