Search This Blog

Thursday, 16 July 2015

What about the "over versus under"?! A toilet paper roll debate. Solved.


Hello everybody.

What should I write as an intro? Shall I try to explain how did I even come to think about the "proper placemnt of toilet paper" in the first place? Sure, I'll do just that.

My word: I must give my paper
a much-closer look :)

The story, from Monday morning:
As with every Monday, we struggle to get our weekly "provisions" (there's a toilet paper war over here, since we have had many, many rolls delivered, but never used - and it seems someone is taking the rolls home with them!). 
Having said that, I usualy am the first one to get up and walk to storage, to get the "fresh batch", and my words are always the same:

"It's better to be seen carrying the paper
than leave the toilet without using it"
-my words-

My colleagues, you se, have issues with being seen by the people, and the general opinion in that it's a "shame" to be seen with a roll in your hand, as you walk down the coridor. Why? Aparently, because (this one cracks me up every time): "women are NOT doing that"...

...and by "that" they speak of 
urinating and emptying of the bowel. 

Old-fashioned as I may be, there is a limit. There is no shame in being human. And, it's a matter of politeness to leave the bathroom and inform everyone about the state of it: is there or is there not any rolls inside - because no one wants to enter... and spot something missing.
That made me think.. 


The "OVER VS UNDER" toilet paper argument has been wager in bathrooms around everywhere - since it was first invented.
Plenty of space in the form of "polls" or "lists" has been dedicated to the proper way to orient our toilet paper in the bathrooms. Guests too, have their ways, and there are times when a conversation slowly slips toward the "paper" issue.
The subject even has it's own Wikipedia page, filled with arguments for OVER (such as "reduces the risk of transferring germs", "easier to find the end", "looks better") versus UNDER (the arguments for this one being "tidier appearance", harder for your pet to unravel the roll")

...
And now, thanks to a patent for perforated toilet paper from 1891, 
we officially have our answer. 

The 1891 patent from Seth Wheeler shows 
that the toilet paper should go up and over.

The inventor of perforated toilet paper Seth Wheeler illustrated his new and futuristic creation with the paper going up and over the roll. The Google Patents Database also displays a series of diagrams with the toilet paper going over as well.

So now it’s official — hang your toilet paper accordingly.

Some days some posts turn out like this one.  :)
Marija

1 comment:

  1. Very fun post, sweet dear. I know, I know the whole argument in favour of putting it over, but from my earliest of days, I've preferred it under and place all rolls in our house accordingly. I don't see why people get so hot under the collar about this though. Really, to each their own - it's no more fiery a topic, IMO, than if people like their salad dressing on the side or top of their salad. Just another of the million different preferences we each have.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete