Search This Blog

Wednesday, 22 July 2015

BURDA Wednesday, March 1958, part I


Hello everyone.

Today, I'll start off by telling what's it like when I step outside my door, and into the the world: hot and hardly breathable. 

We're in the middle of a heat-wave. 

There are many, many ways of fighting the heat-wave; doctor recommend a consummation of "light food" and lots of liquid, traffic inspectors urge drivers to take more "pit-stops" on their way to a holiday, governmental bodies are telling the institutions to shorten their work hours to both save the people's health and the electrical bills (air-conditioning is a large consumer, people!).

.
.
.

On, with our BURDA!





















Ah, the era of elegance!
I can't NOT miss the time (knowing that it's impossible to miss something you haven't had - but still, while observing these images I wonder what it would be like back then?)

A new item on my office desk. :)
..
I do follow all the instructions and recommendations given, when it comes to fighting the heat, I'm (as they call it) a "law abiding citizen"; except for one thing. You know, how they say "Avoid doing any labor if possible".
There are times when you can not avoid the heat. I believe folks in USA like saying "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen" - and I take it quite literally. :) You see, the thing with summer is that it's the "time of plenty" and a time to prepare your larder for the coming winter. So, staying away from heat is impossible while one's preparing jam. :)
Marija

8 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute shell turtle.

    The past few days here have been very hot and humid but now it is cooler and the air is dry. Oh, and I live near Boston, Massachusetts, USA so I am not at all near you but I will be wishing for nicer weather to come your way.

    Yes, if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen is the saying. I hope you have a strong fan to cool you off in the kitchen if you don't have air conditioning at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dawn,
      Thank you for you kind words..
      Unlike most people, I can't stand the hot weather; but I try to manage it and keep myself under strict control. Because, I do tend to "over-heat" and then I get dizzy and sick... humidity might help. :)

      MArija

      Delete
  3. Where did your turtle come from? He's cute.

    You are being good, making lots of jam and preserves. My husband likes making those, but we don't eat them often, so he hasn't made any in a while... one batch lasts a few years. He does like eating pickles, though, and needs to make more kimchi (Korean pickled cabbage - too spicy for me!) Do you grow your fruit, buy it or find it? We have lots of wild apples and blackberries around, and they're good for jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mim.
      The turtle? It'a gift from Deputy Mayor (an elderly woman who seems to be collecting oddities like that). Personally, I'm not much of a collector myself. OK, the truth is: I do not like having items on my desk, other than the ones I'm working with - so, I had that turtle standing there for a week or so.. and today I kindly placed it into a bag.
      I'm not being un-kind.. right?

      Marija

      Delete
    2. Hehehe, in that case you'd *hate* my desk - it's covered with tat!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful styles - and wow, there are some seriously impressive eyebrows at work here! :D I love the sophisticated, pretty blue and white suit on the cover this month. You can see the Chanel influence of the day at work in it big time. It might be hard with the present heat to think about heavy duty suits again, but you know, I'm already doing so and find my eagerness for autumn growing more and more with each day (though, that said, I'm not keen to wave good bye to summer quite yet!).

    Stay as cool as you can and have a great Saturday, my darling friend!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jessica.
      Oh, you've noticed the brow-works, too?
      Yeah, some massive changes are happening in the last years of 1950s.. and I'm glad we are able to "witness" them by closely observing images from magazines.

      Marija

      Delete