Search This Blog

Friday, 3 April 2015

Garden Guide, WWII leaflet: April


Hello everyone

It's a proof of human value, you know - staying aware of how much you (do not) have, and keeping yourself up-to-date with all of the things around you. So, if you have a parcel of dirt, no matter how small you may consider it (window sill - perfect growing ground!).. by all means: it's high time to get down and dirty. It's Spring, it's time grom sewing (the seeds of love). :)


Yeasterday I planted a first item in my new garden (ehmmm, yeah - some time; later - I'll write about that part of my life). Strangely, it is not something a true "vicotory garden" enthusiast will first go for, but it was given to me: a Jerusalem Artichoke. :) We used to have them in our old garden, way back in time, when my grandpa was alive, and I was just a toddler dragging along. I remember him as he was digging them out, removing the spuds from the dirt, throwing the stems to a side - I was clinging to his trousers (quite literally) and starred at those strangle little spuds as they were piling up in the basket.
Later on, when grandpa was no longer with us, and dad needed the space to re-design the chicken area; he dug out all the "čičoka" spuds (that is how we call them here - chichoka) from the ground; but never found the suitable place to put them. And years passed without those jolly sunflower-looking heads in August and September and sweet-tasting spuds later on.

Let's see what YOU can do
in April:









Well, well..
I am yet to find a good way to get rid of slugs, my dear friends. Being eco-friendly (and having squeemish family members who frown upod Draconian measures) I opt for the oldes method of all: hand picking them. What I do later?! I'll give you a hint: there are folks who buy them... not only do I rid myself of the plant-muching-nerve-wrecking pests- but I'm also getting some pennies "closer to home". I call that: staying true to my "frugal" nature.
Мarija

3 comments:

  1. We always turn our Jerusalem artichokes into soup. They're very easy to grow, aren't they? I should plant some more, as the flowers are pretty too.

    You have people who buy slugs? I'd be a millionaire if they'd buy all mine! I resort to poisoning the blighters, though I might be more eco-friendly and make beer traps this year. (You half-fill a jamjar with beer, and bury it so the open top is level with the surface of the soil. Slugs love beer, so they'll slither in and drown. But you do have to empty the traps regularly or the smell is horrendous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soup... yes, indeed.
      I haven't had them for such a long time - but this autumn (if all goes well) I will have a batch.
      I've tried many slug-traps.. and you are right, both about the beer working and beer smelling. One day we had excessive rain and I haven't got the chance to empty the beer trap - next day was quite sunny, and when I came home from work - gosh.. that stench.. :)

      Marija

      Delete
  2. Sunchokes do not get enough love at all! I smiled ear-to-ear when I read that's what you planted in your budding garden first. Very cool! I hope that you have a wonderfully abundant harvest of everything you plan, dear gal.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete