Search This Blog

Wednesday, 8 April 2015

Burda Wednesday: August 1957, part I


Hello everyone!

What you will see in this issue of Burda magazine are two completely different ways of dressing up; that we sometimes even think of as entirely two different eras in clothing history. Yet, here they are, standing together in the same issue of our darling Burda:
1. the body hugging skirts, and tight suits
2. flared skirts and liberating (let's even call them: bold) prints

Take a loof for yourselves:


I can only image her going to a ball;
this is a true Cinderella-dress
(no, I haven't seen the film, and I don't know am I even going to)

TOSCA still sells things, you know?
Check them out, HERE

Here, I think, we are introduced to
"letters from our readers" - ever so popular

Yeah, she lost weight
but more than that: that swimsuit is magnificent!

Who is
"The mysterious Lady M"?!

I'm left with no words - this dress
is a pure dream, the shape, the pattern and that bow...

Three images and the text:
A colorful palette of beautiful colors
Soft ersay hugs the figgure
Subtle pattern

Want to know what's HIP?
This dress is, according to Burda editors. :)

Take a look at the gracious cut on the dress in upper left
it's making asuper-slimming effect
hence: I would love to have it.

"Between seasons"

As a matter of fact, when I think of it, we spend most of our time in-between seasons; and the tragedy is - we pay so little attention to that important time. Most of our clothes are winter-friendly coats or summer loving dresses - and we somehow fail to realize that Spring and Autumn are not just a "passing" seasons - no, no.. they are lasting, and they are perfect for so much fashion statement pieces - just like THAT green dress in the image. 
See, she's in the office.
Now no one can say MY outfits is not suitable. :)

What to wear in day-time?
Here are some hints.

They call it the "cassual style"
It's kind of funny, isn't it? Since, nowadays - WE would 
call it "posh".

"For the first days of Autumn"

The blouse-dresses
(we'd call it: shirt-dresses)

Well - I'm not sure I'd be able to play badmington
in flip-flops.. but, that's just me.

Have a great day, my dear friends!!!
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! It Is wonderful to see the contrasts of full skirts and figure hugging dresses side by side, and how much more tailored a casual look was back then heaven knows what they would have made of todays casual styles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, dear.
      I'm ever so glad you've hopped over to my little blog. Great having you here.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. The older I get, the more I find the this cross section of the two deeply distinct style eras appealing and you know, it hit me not too long ago why that is (in good part at least): because so many of the models used then were in their mid-20s to late 30s, the very same age bracket at 30 (31 in July) that I'm in now. I can relate to the mixture of elegance, youthfulness, and playful beauty that this time in fashion history and the models that brought it to life had so much now.

    Thank you for another stellar edition of Burda Wednesday. They always, without fail, brighten my week!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures. I definitely prefer the sleeker styles, they're very work-friendly.

    ReplyDelete