Search This Blog

Monday, 9 March 2015

We too had our Silent Movie Femme Fatale: her name was Ita Rina.


Hello Everyone.

Say... Do you know her:


The chances are slim that you have ever even heard about her... since I know majority of folks over here has no idea she has ever existed - non the less ignited the audience with her performance.


Her real name was Ida Kravanja. 
She was born on 7 July 1907 in Divača, a small town in Kras near the current western Slovenian border with Italy, known above all as a railway junction. 
As an attractive nineteen-year-old, she was tempted to enter a beauty contest in Zagreb, which she did secretly, not telling anyone at home. Her friends entered her into the contest. She won Miss Ljubljana, then later on Miss Slovenia - and the trouble occurred: her mother BANNED her from going further. 
As she remembers: "That caused such rage among my fellow citizens of Ljubljana, that an entire delegation came to my home and convinced my mom to let me have my way" - but at the end failed to become Miss Yugoslavia. 
She was noticed there by representatives of the German film company Ostermayer, who invited her to Berlin for a screen test, which meant the beginning of her flying film career and her breakthrough from anonymity into the world of film glitz and glamour.

...I have told you she was a GEM.
This is Ita in "Eroticon" a.k.a. Seduction.

Film Erotikon ('Seduction') in 1929

Starting with small roles in a number of German films Ita Rina gained celebrity with the Czech film Erotikon ('Seduction') already in 1929.
Since the invention and establishment of film, such a life has been the silent and secret wish of many girls, coming true only for the rare few, and Ita Rina was actually a model of fulfilled dreams of glory and success in film. In 1926, she ran away from home to Berlin, where she debuted in the role of a chamber maid in the film Was die Kinder ihren Eltern verschweigen (translation "What are the children hiding from their parents"). 
She recalled it with these words:
"It was my longest and hardest journey. I crawled up in a corner of the train compartment and looked around myself, petrified. I knew only a few words of German..."
During the following three years, she took small roles in a number of other German films until moving to Czechoslovakia where, already in 1929, she gained celebrity with the Czech film Erotikon ('Seduction') by director Gustav Machaty. The film was first shown on February 27th 1929. in the famous cinema called "Passage" in Prague.
Because of its audacity, evident from the title, the film was a sensation at the time, causing controversy among the audience, with some indescribably taken by it, while others felt utterly disgusted. 


In Paris, she has arrived just in time for the show, not having time to change into something more "glamorous", she has decided to st among the spectators. As the movie ended, the crown carried her up in the air and taken her outside the cinema - just like Cleopatra, back in the day. 
Then, on the other hand - priest tended to walk around ripping the movie's posters of walls.. and that was not only due to the film's name and theme; but also the fact that she has stepped away from Catholicism, and into Orthodox religion - going as far as chaining her name to Tamara Đorđević.


Later in life, Ita Rina has played in more German films, such as Frühlingserwachen ('Awakening of Spring'). It is based on the German play called "Spring Awakening" (1891) by Frank Wedekind (or, what came later, and became much more familiar: the Broadway show) :)



With her role in an contraversal still silent film and later in the first Czech sound film by Tonka Sibenice ('Gallows Toni'), Ita Rina secured a lasting place in the history of film art.

.
.
.
.



I hope you'll take a look.
Do let me know what YOU think about it.
Marija

10 comments:

  1. thank you so much for sharing! This lady was such a beauty! Now I will go and check out the Erotikon link ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you take a look at it.
      It was an amusing film.
      I'm sure it make quite a stirr back then.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. I feel like I have seen pictures of her before, but I didn't know her name. I like silent films, but I couldn't tell you any actors or actresses' names from that far back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear:
      If you DO find anything about her, let me know, please.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. I had not heard of Ita Rina. Didn't she have the perfect 1920s face? No wonder she won a beauty contest. I shall have a look in my books of silent movie photos and see if I can find her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pint about the face, exactly. :)
      And another striking thing is: she's got such a "slavic" character to her face . so, there really is no wonder about why she was accepted into movies.

      Marija

      Delete
  4. Thanks for this tip! I have bookmarked it so I can watch it later for when I might be a bit bored! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linday,

      If you see the movie - let me know what you felt about it.

      Marija

      Delete
  5. Engaging, wonderfully lovely post and biography of this breath-takingly beautiful silent film star. To the best of my memory, I must amid that I don't recall having ever come across the lovely Ita before. What a shame that she's not better know internationally - not only for the merits of her work and contribution to the early days of cinema, but because I'm certain that scores of early 20th century vintage fans would find her look immensely inspiring. I loved getting to know this talented lady and hope that our paths will cross again and again now that we're acquainted.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling Jessica.
      I have read about her ages ago, but never really gave much thought on how "world wide web - famous" was her. And I was ashamed to learn there was just a few little articles about her.
      The one I used to make this post was from an age.old "movie book", made about our movie industry's history.

      Marija

      Delete