Search This Blog

Monday, 23 March 2015

Unwrapping Hollywood; an article and a bit of fashion of my own.. oh, and: it's SPRING!


Hello everyone!

How are you doing this glorious Monday morning?
I hope you are well, and I hope you are in the spring mood: flowers, frills, lighter coats... oh, finally we are free from grey and dull winter morning, foggy days and un-inspiring folks wearing black coats.

Are you wondering what is "new" in 1934 Hollywood?





.
.

In case you're interested in what the advertisment companies
are suggesting, here's an idea:

This shape-wear is well put together, and I admit, I wouldn't mind
wearing this.. darn: I should wear this - to battle the bulge
(no matter how much weight you gain or lose, 
you can never have perfect lines)
.
.
.

...and, one for the end:
I have reconstructed a truly vintage dress
It's a 1960s model, hand sewn, well taken care of;
bought it in a used-clothes shop for amazing price of 200,00 RSD (1.5 euros)
The brooch is also vintage, my mom's.

You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.”
― Pablo Neruda
Marija

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing those marvellous articles!! Lots of super inspiration. And what a fab dress, I see you too are getting more into '60s styles, it's fun to switch it up sometimes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, no.. it is my pleasure, dear gal!
      It was not my intention to move to the 1960s, but it suits me well, it's easy to make (and remake) and I must say: it is uterly office-appropriate.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. You look fabulous doll, such a cute dress! :) Yay, for spring (even though the weather is more like autumn here at the moment)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling.
      It's windy over here, but I don't mind it - as long as there is sunshine on my eyes.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. Sooooo true and goodness would countless figures benefit if women still routinely wore even light shape wear. I sport it under most of my clothes and find that it helps them not only fit better, but properly, particularly with vintage items, which were designed with the understanding that a woman would have shape wear on underneath anytime she sported them. You don't need to go all out usually either. I wear a very light (as I can't handle tight things on my mid-section due to some of my conditions) girl, a long line bra (the comfiest of all bra styles for me), and a slip or camisole, where applicable. That's it. It's comfy and does wonders for smoothing one's figure.

    What a fun outfit! I really like that elegant umbrella brooch from your mom. It's beautiful!

    Tons of hugs & joyful first (full) week of spring wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could go on and on about wearing properly fitting underwear - but over here, folks seem to believe that shape-wear is something to be ashamed to even mention in a conversations - and that only "certain" gals wear them.. and if they DO wear them (I would not call THAT shape-wewar) it's a play-around corsets on top of a shirt; or even no shirt at all - clubbing attire, I suppose.

      Marija

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's a bargain dress. It looks great on you.

    As someone who's handled fan dance fans, there's no way they way two and a half ounces. I've seen Ginger's fan dance photos and she's got the full ostrich feather fans, and those things are heavy! Never arm-wrestle a fan dancer, that's my advice... Interesting that the article focusses on scantiness, as 1943 was the year the Hays Code started to be strictly enforced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mim,
      I have bough two dresses and a skirt for a mere price of 800,00 RSD (that's less that 7 euros).
      I have never even gave much thought to weight of fans - so THANK you for giving me this information. Please, don't be affraid to share more useful and amuzing info with me.

      Marija

      Delete