Search This Blog

Friday, 6 March 2015

It's a piece of cake.. no, really: I'm making it.


Hello there.

Shall you join me in a venture?
Tomorrow morning, let us roll up our sleeves and make this delicious little treat, that is a never-fail, easy to make, WWII kind of recipe (surely is, since it's from my great grandma's notebook).

It's name is London Cubes.


Ingredients:
For the bottom:
3 egg yolks
300 grams of flour
110 grams of fat (lard or butter)
60 grams of caster sugar
1 packet (that's 1 teaspoon) of baking powder
2 -3 tablespoons of milk
For the upper layer:
3 egg-whites
150 grams of caster sugar
150 grams of ground walnuts
Plus: 3 tablespoons of home made jam.

Preparation is quite easy:
1. Mix the ingredients for the bottom part into a soft dough - add milk if it feels hard in your hands; it should be just a bit sticky. Lay that in the bottom of your baking tray 


(we're using 25 cm by 30 cm sized tray, about 5 cm deep)

Feel free to pat it down with your fingers. 
2. When you're sure it's pretty much evened out in the bottom, add your jam. We are using our own - and I just happen to have wrote about it way back in the summer of 2013 (HERE is the link). Our pick for this particular cake is apricot.
3. Beat your egg whites till firm, and add the sugar. Then gently fold in your ground walnuts. Place the mixture on the top of your batch.
4. Bake in preheated oven (200°C) for about 20 to 25 minutes - or until you see that the edges are getting a bit caramel-colored.
5. Let it cool down, then cut in cubes.


These are best eaten with a nice cup of tea.
Please, do try it out (if you're not allergic to any of the ingredients). And if you do try it out, let me know how they turned out.
Just so you know - I'm always making a double batch. :)
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, does that look fantastic!!! Walnut and jam together makes me think of a type of thumprint cookie I grew up eating. Though I'm sure it will be a stretch from the original version, I simply must experiment with a GF and EF version of this soon. Perhaps for Easter of Mother's Day (which is in May in Canada). Thank you for sharing this marvelous cake recipe with us, sweet gal. It will have me craving cake all weekend now (too busy to bake on at the moment though, as I'm five onto six days into doing my business taxes for this year - with a bit of luck and very little sleep, I should be done by Sunday).

    Tons of hugs & happy weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taxes are never a fun-job (unless you're an economist) :)
      Stay strong and persevere - I'm sure you'll find your way with it.
      If you were closer, I'd pop up, caring some gluten & egg free treats, and I'd give you a helping hand.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. Huuummm! it seems delicious! I regret that you're not my neighbor, I'd like to take a cup of tea and a cake with you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Maud,
      If you were my neighbor, you'd certainly be more than welcome. :)

      Marija

      Delete