Search This Blog

Tuesday, 20 January 2015

A garden I'd love to visit: Coton Manor Garden


Hello everyone.

January is that time of the year, when most of us have putting our plans to work. Some of you might be spending this month braving the gym, some might be taking your firs cooking class, some are writing a book. Some of you, my dear friends, may have started to grow a mustache or wear red lipstick. 
Good for you! :)

With me, it's all about planning.. a garden, that is. 

Every year, right about this time I start being nervous. Nothing to do. There's no snow (it's now gone - but I'm not going to get surprised it it comes back to bite us n February..), however, the weather is tricky, the ground is wet and no plant is ready to start it's cycle. So, I must wait.

Until I get on with my own garden - here's one I would love to visit. It's an English garden, and it's period appropriate. It's the garden of Coton Manor, Coton, Northamptonshire. (you can see is all on their official site)

The story.

Originally laid out in the 1920's by the grandparents of the present owner, the garden has been developed and extended by successive generations capitalizing on its natural setting, attractive views and abundant water. The 17th century manor house acts as a central focus for the garden, its walls supporting many roses and shrubs, while the surrounding terraces are populated by numerous colorful pots and containers.

Holly hedge border and the House

Holly hedge border

The main areas sloping down from the house are characterized by old yew and holly hedges, complementing the many luxuriant borders packed with unusual plants and carefully planned color schemes for each stage of the season.



The widely respected Good Gardens Guide says of Coton 'This is a beautifully maintained garden of exceptional charm with unexpected vistas at every turn... there is something for everyone here.'



I, for one, get mind-blown by colorful flowers and neatly lined vegetables.. and the impact is even greater when the day is dull and grey. 
If you are, too starting something this year - I hope you'll make it happen. .. and if it IS a beard or a red lipstick - make sure to let me know. :)
Marija

5 comments:

  1. Oh my word, that is a beautiful home and garden. It's grand, but not epically OTT (say like a castle). I'm the type of person who, even if I was absurdly wealthy, I wouldn't feel right living in a ridiculously huge castle or mansion. I need a sense of familiarity and coziness to my abode and this one, though huge and majestic, still strikes me as retaining an element of that.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree on hat.
      There's no need to make a large fortress-looking house.. one can feel so lonely wihin those huge, cold walls.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. I'm not really starting anything this year! It's a year of trying to make things better. Looking at that garden, I suppose my own garden is one of the things to make better. It's too big for me to manage, so always looks appalling by July when everything's grown out of control, but I do have that very British love of pottering about with plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, I think that's brilliant. :)
    Not starting anything was exactly what I did last year - it helped me concentrate on finishing everything I have already started.
    I know about gardening aches.. you turn your back on a perfect setting for a moment - and it turns into an overgrown mess (one thing: do not leave pumpkins or gourds alone for a second.. they will make an unfixable mess)

    Marija

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew pumpkins one year. The cat was scared of them! She'd edge nervously past the plant...

      Delete