Search This Blog

Thursday, 4 December 2014

Homemade holiday: The Apron


Hello dear friends!

How long has it been since we last sewn something together? Too long to remember. It has been one of my New Year's resolutions: to sew more - and what better way to do so than to turn sewing into a gift-making. And, if you have no idea what to give to a cooking fanatic - here are some wonderful, stylish, retro fun ideas..

Ladies, start your engines... err.. machines.. :)

From a 1959 "Better Homes & Gardens Christmas Ideas" magazine, this four page spread on Dress-up aprons made for holiday giving -- complete as shown with patterns. 

(Click to see large scans.)

This is a dressy apron, 
perfect as a show-off for a hostes of a party among friends

Curvy edges, and lots of volume,
there's a youthful feel in these aprons.

Oh, so classy.
I think this sharp-pointed apron in discreet pattern 
would be parfetly worn over a pencil skirt, during a tea-party.

Of course, if you (or your friends) like to wear their aprons
as the essential part of the attire, 
these decorative bold-looking ones will be a great choice.

These frivolous aprons look more at home in the living room than the kitchen. They're enlivened with all sorts of sparkling trims and are designed to go to a party. And I'm sure they would bring a smile to your friend's faces - and some giggles, too (imagine: giving one of these to your male friend, plus the tiny cook-book.. what a twist to a gift-giving!)  :)
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic post and photos. Thank you so much for this beautiful trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome, darling!
      Marija

      Delete
  2. Soooo pretty! Agreed, they're akin to novelty print skirts in a way are almost too cute/pretty to actually use as a functionary item in a kitchen. It's a shame that such aprons are rarely used, whether as fashion or too keep one's garments tidy, any more. I have vivid memories of my mom and one of my grandmas always sporting frilly, festive aprons like this when I was little. Perhaps they'll make a comeback amongst us vintage loving gals one of these years.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so.. I do hope the apron will be present in our lives - again.
      ...not that it ever left my life. I have inherited my grandma's aprons (since my mom detests them, I have no idea why - once she finishes the kneding of the dought, she's as floured as the dought itself) :)

      Maybe we should start a campaign.. "bring back aprons" :D

      Marija

      Delete