Search This Blog

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

BURDA Wednesday - September 1956, part II


Hello everybody!

The silouets have changed since we've started looking at Burda magazines. We are now entering an era of sleek lines, less emphasis on the tiny waist and more smooth forms of garments.

Shall we take a look?

Long coats for cold days

Note the diference: the coats have no waist, 
they drape the body

"Sissy thinks of the first
cold days of autumn"

Kids have to look their best
for the first days of school

Pleated skirts
and boleros for the youngest ones

Knit some fun looking sweaters

OK - not something that would suit me,
but I'm sure there are a lot of you out there
who love turtle-necks.

Perfect way to brighten up the place
a lovely table cloth.. and
flower arrangement

Back in the day, putting flowers in your home was an essential thing. It made your house dcor complete. You could not invite people over and not have flowers (unless flowers were what you expected on getting from them). Since I grew up surrounded by old magazines, I got the strong feeling that a house is an  empty space without a lovely flower arrangement.
Nowadays, I have friends that had huge problems when they receinved me as a visitor: I'm an old-school kind of gal. So, when I come to your home, I make sure to bring flowers. Problem occured when (not only once) a friend did not own a vase!
How did such an essential thing managed to be forgotten by our generations? Don't we care? The friend took the flowers, and since no vase was in her home, she had to opt for a jar. A jar?! Yes, the thing you put your preserved food in. :)

Gents at their best

"Uncle, I can't get you up to the plate"
Funniest way to imply to someone
to mind their weight. :)

Hats, hats, hats!
"For each head - the right headgear"

Ah.. the slimming page

Sewing magazine would be nothing
witout a sewing machine ads, right?

Chose your bedding smartly!

Room arrangement.

"The bed in the living-room"
GReat ideas for those choosing room decoration
and pattern ides to suit the era.

"Thougths in and around the bed"

Ads for hygene and care products

Materials fof autumn

Exclusive models - excellent choices :)
I adore the green one.

Going blue?
No problem. :)


Burda folks always had their magazine's page (or more than one)
dedicated to mother & daughter matching clothes. 

I'm not ashamed to say: my mom and I had matching red sweaters. Oh, and did I love, love, love those days, when we both wore the same and walked together. I felt so proud, the air felt lighter, and I remember how much I wanted the world to see us, and there were toughts in my mind: "One day I will look like her"..

Have an amazing mid-week!
Marija

4 comments:

  1. I too, as a little girl, wanted nothing more than to look like my mother when I grew up. That changed a bit when I was a teen and a young adult. Now that I'm older, I realize that I got my wish and I'm so proud. I love it when people tell me I look just like her. Also, when my man and I were first dating he bought me flowers only to realize I had no vases. He proceeded to get me many flower arrangements that came in a vase. When we made our last move we discovered that I had accumulated over a dozen vases. We kept my 3 favorites and now he knows that he can buy me just the flowers. That reminders me, I haven't gotten flowers in a while........
    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, darling.
      I'm ever so glad to hear that I'm not the only one wishing to look like my mom, back when I was a kid. And, your man is an amazing human being, givirn his lady flowers all the time. :)

      Many hugs
      Thanks for stopping by

      Marija

      Delete
  2. The green dress is simply breathtaking, I agree. It's my favourite of all of the fashions in this week's Burda post. The fuschia pink dress in the same image takes second place.

    I always really like to study these pages and try to soak up every detail. One that jumped out at me is the young (maybe 14/15?) blond boy in the page of blue knits who's smoking a pipe. That might have seemed/been fairly commonplace back then still, but to my 21st century eyes it's nearly scandalous! :D

    Wonderful Burda roundup, dear Marija. Many thanks for spoiling us so much with these fabulous image filled posts.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, darling.
      It's always a joy to have you here! :)
      Yes, many of the pictures given in these Burda magazines are nowadays troublesome. I hope no harm will come to me, since I'm only sharing them for the sake of preservation of both fashion and of lifestyle; and it was never my intention to flash such images (like this boy "smoking" or the bare-bottomed kids) and insult anyone OR break any laws.

      ....just saying.
      Marija

      Delete