Search This Blog

Wednesday, 31 December 2014

BURDA Wednesday - November 1956, part I - and a HAPPY NEW YEAR!


Hello everyone.

You know I'd never miss out a Burda-post; but since today is quite a day - let me first go ahead and give you all a great snow-covered hug and a lovely season-suitable poem:

“Another fresh new year is here . . .
Another year to live!
To banish worry, doubt, and fear,
To love and laugh and give!

This bright new year is given me
To live each day with zest . . .
To daily grow and try to be
My highest and my best!

I have the opportunity
Once more to right some wrongs,
To pray for peace, to plant a tree,
And sing more joyful songs!”

                                                                         ― William Arthur Ward

As this year is ending, I wish that the New Year turns out to be a very special one for you filling each day with peak of health, abundance of happiness and sunshine, bountiful luxury and prosperity and Zen like serenity.

.
.
.


Now, let's talk fashion! :)

Right from the start - completely New Look.

..continuing with a glamourous red dress
(please, note the bracelet she's wearing)

I was never a rgeat fan of super-high and tight no-collar upper bodices,
but this green one seems suitable,
Also, the dark blue dress is a perfect office-attire.

"The little wool dresses are versatile
in color and in form"
See - before we started using "little black dress"
there was the Little Woolen one.

"Longer coats for winter fashion"
Heavy materials and statement buttons

An odd-ball or two:
a pair of waist-fitted coats,
embelished by embroidery.

"Sharp cuts and bell looking skirts"
together with shape-wear. 

I like the subtle detailes on this page.
Gentle dots, under-bust decoration...
all created with much taste, to make a dress just a bit more.. dazzling.

Shapeless suit - that is how I call this
Unfortunately, those do not fit me well.

"The straight line asserts itself"
there you have it...
a fashion statement of New Look.

Again, pay attention on details.
It's not just the suite we're looking at,
but the slight aditions to it - a crease, a pleat...

"Full-circle dress..."

"..for every time of day"

Times of restrictions, rationing and saving are gone with this one. If you are paying attention to old newspaper articles, ads and informations - back in WWII people were encouraged to "make, do and mend"; they were making women's suits out of men's ones; they were recreating, borrowing, making girls dresses out of mom's old sweater... And, right here, on these two pages, it is all gone.
How, you ask me?
To make a circle-skirt one uses massive amount of material. No one back in WWII would dare to do so, no one who's rationinig could manage to make a skirt like that with what they've had in their ration-book. So, there it is; such a gentile and subtle way of telling history.

:) I had to smile..
Not every day you get to spot such a funny chicken.

"Chose your powder wisely"

Gents at their best.

A good looking gent at his house-attire.

Blouses and skirts for the colder days.

This jacket is created for the weather-weary. :)
It will tuck you in perfectly and keep
your warmth for a long time.

Ski-wear!

I have to keep telling myself to "please, breathe!"
The cut of these dresses, the useage of lace, the gentile bows..
a magnificent way to end this year! :)
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

...and; I shall not end this year without the ever so obligatory:


From the bottom of my heart, I wish you the HAPPIEST NEW YEAR!
Marija

6 comments:

  1. Lovely, oh-so-lovely!!! The full skirted dresses (and skirts) in monochromatic shades are really speaking to me. As much as I adore patterns, there's something about winter's somberness that always puts me in the mood for solids and this winter is no exception (if anything, I'm craving and sporting them more often than in past years). A lot of these fashions look like they'd be ideal for the chilly Canadian winter, so that just makes me love (and year for!) them all the more. :)

    Huge hugs & countless happy January 1st wishes!!!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Your timing with impeccable with shipping that immensely thoughtful surprise present, my sweet friend. Thank you again so much for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yet again: you are most welcome, dear Jessica.

      Many (if not almost all) of the suits, dresses and skirt here presented are something I'd chose in a blink of an eye. And, their loveliness is the reason I have decided to share them in the first place - we all need some loveliness in our lives. :)

      Joyful holiday wishes, my friend!

      Marija

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year to you too! I hope you have a splendid 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many holiday greetings, dear Mim!
      May the 2015 bring you greatness, good fortune and lots of laughs!

      Marija

      Delete
  3. All those beautiful wool dresses, I'd take any of them:) It's my goal to attempt to sew a wool dress this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh.. yes!
      I hope you do so, and I hope you'll post all about it. :)

      HAPPY NEW YEAR, dear Joanna!

      Marija

      Delete