Search This Blog

Saturday, 1 November 2014

The Half Moon is rising!


Hello everybody!

This post will not be about the Lunar Eclipse. No, no. It will be about the fingernails and all we can do to them.

Just - please: NO biting!

As the automobile industry flourished in the 1920s, women began to color their nails using high-gloss car paint. In 1932, Revlon launched a groundbreaking polish that used pigments instead of dyes and was available at drug stores. Silver screen actresses helped popularize the new and amazing way to paint one's nails: the half moon technique.

Dita Von Teese: elegance, glamour, red nails!
The queen of vintage glamour, has recognized the beauty of this manicure

.
.
.

The half moon manicure was a symbol of glamour in the 1930's, but the main reason women left a half moon bare was ultimately practical: when they had their nails done in those days the varnish took a long time to apply and dry, so women tried to keep their manicures going for as long as possible, and leaving the half moons meant that regrowth didn't appear so obvious as the weeks went by.
It would've been considered wasteful to paint your entire nail, unless of course you were wealthy and had a stock pile of luxury goods at your disposal.
Rita Hayworth, Betty Grable, Veronica Lake or Joan Crawford were just some of the big screen celebrities of that time who popularized the classic long oval shape, with a rounded top and red, glamorous polish. This ladylike nail shape made the fingers appear longer and delicate, catching the eyes  and granting them that sensual appeal common for the female characters of the time.

Now, say a regular gal like myself wants to sport this look. What are my options?!

1. Visit the local salon

I don’t need to do any manual labor, typewriting 
or such dreadful things like housework, 
I can afford to lounge around flashing my stunning red-nailed hands’. 

Not true, but we'd all like to be "that girl".
Having nails done in a salon is the best way to go, you get the full service, your nails are treated by the professional staff.. but it's expensive. It might be a massive burden on your budget. And, one more thing: there's NO salon over here that can do such styling. We have a rule over here, an unwritten one, it's "You come here, and get square deal or no deal". 

2. Buy your nails.

Yup: Dita's nails - in her SHOP.
Just glue them on - and go!

I've done some research. 
If you have no time, and some extra money to spare, you can simply go online, and order your set.
Dita has partnered with beauty giant Kiss to launch a line of easy to apply press-on nails in her signature 1940s-era half-moon manicure! The medium length nails come in a deep shade of ruby red with a shimmering pearly "moon", the effect recalling the elegance of the Golden Age of Hollywood. 


3. Go for "do it yourself". 

In order to simplify the DIY - there's a clip from a vintage magazine, that pretty much shows it all:


.
.
.
.
.
This is how mine turned out:



Let me know if you try it out.
Marija

10 comments:

  1. New follower! Love your blog, great post and adorable ring!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there, dear Kim.
      I'm glad to see you here - hope you'll stick around. :)

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. Fabulous post and look at this stylish, elegant, and very alluring manicure style. I had no idea that Dita had released false versions of her own lovely talons. My nails have always been to brittle to grown long and shape to such a dramatic shape, but I round them all the same (I've never been a fan of the more modern square tip) and love doing half moon manis, French manis (flashback to my 90s youth there), and classic solid shapes from top to bottom all the same. I think fancy nail are is very cool, too, but don't have the artist's deft hand needed for most designs (beyond fun basics like polka dots and hearts). I really enjoyed this post, dear gal - such a fun blogging note to kick the week off on!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you , Jessica.
      I have brittle nails as well, and as much as I would love (love, love) to have them fabulously styled, my lifestyle calls for a toned down appearance, so I'm quite happy with being able to wear them like this.
      I'm glad you've liked it.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. I love it! I haven't yet tried to do this on my own nails, but I'm all for giving the DIY nails a go. This year I have gotten really into nail stamping. I think painting nails can be so much fun and there are so many shades to choose from

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalie!
      It's great having you here!
      I have been stamping my nails some time ago (dare I say: years ago); but I slowly moved to having them all red all the time. I have a friend who's mad about stamps, she has: flowers, butterflies, some strange creatures.. oh, it's wonderful knowing what we can do once we feel creative.

      Marija

      Delete
  4. Love this post! Sad that your salon doesn't do any other shapes. I used to always get square, but last year I went for oval and loved it. I only get my nails done in the summer when I've got the money to do it. (No college, yay!) Is it because there is a language barrier? I have been to other nail salons with friends where the nail technicians just didn't understand or speak English very well. I have been going to my nail salon since beginning of high school. It's run by a husband and wife duo. They're fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Felicia,
      It is so lovely having you here. Welcome!
      My dear, there are no language barriers over here (would be easier if I could say that was the issue). We all speak the same language; but the matter is: no stylist likes learning something new. However, they did start to make to spike-looking claws: long and sharp, god for self-defence.. bad if you accidentaly try to scratch yourself. :)

      I'm glad you have a salon that you like
      Maybe you could blog about it?

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  5. Hey Marija, wonderful post! I was wondering if you would be ok with me borrowing that glorious image of Dita and referencing your post in a post I'm currently working on. Mine is on 1920's makeup but I wanted to include a paragraph on nail enamel and this post (and that image of Dita!) would fit perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Wendy,
      Sure - you can use it, just bare in mind that I have gotten permission from Dita's crew to post the images.

      Marija

      Delete