Search This Blog

Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Life is like a ten speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.


Hello everybody!

Autumn is by far my favorite time of year to ride my bicycle. The air is cool. The sun is shining. The leaves are turning beautiful shades of orange.
I went cycling yesterday.
Yes, I did.
I decided to suck it up, put on ridiculously large amount of layers, sit on my bicycle and ride.

My inspiration: if they can do it
so can I.  :)

Pretty much everything in my life, that requires me to push the boundaries of my comfort zone, ends up with one exact sentence "If they can do it - so can I". Only thing I need is to find "them" - and as a matter of fact, that is not as hard as some might think.

I don't mind the wind..
I'm riding so fast, no one can see my hairstyle. :)

Wind is hard on my face; it will always be.
Then again, who am I to nag about a bit of wind, when all the ladies before me had a massive war to wage, to just be able to feel the wind in their faces?! There's a magnificent quote about that:
"To men, the bicycle in the beginning was merely a new toy, another machine added to the long list of devices they knew in their work and play. To women, it was a steed upon which they rode into a new world." - taken from Munsey's Magazine (1896).
“The New Woman” was the term used to describe the modern woman who broke with convention by working outside the home, or eschewed the traditional role of wife and mother, or became politically active in the woman’s suffrage movement or other social issues. The New Woman saw herself as the equal of men and the bicycle helped her assert herself as such.

So, my dear friends, here's me:

As a friend of mine would say it "Darling, you look like
a deranged middle aged woman"
Thank you. :)

That is what I call a "special occasion" outfit. I would probably like to be able to look adorable and ride a gorgeous vintage bicycle, but at the bottom of the matter is the fact that I like this masculine, black, hard-to-manage-unless-you're-mad ride of mine. I believe it's the "last straw" my tomboy(ish) self has.

Here's how most people see me, most of the time:


Oh, and my best inspiration: CAKE. :)
After a ride this, on a cold day, I deserve whatever dessert I lay my eyes on.
...
Have a magnificent day! Enjoy ever second of it.
Marija

2 comments:

  1. Oh my word, dearest gal, please tell me no one has had the audacity to call you middle aged yet! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, you are extremely young longing IMO. You could very easily tell me you were 19, 20, 21 or so and I would believe you without the slightest hesitation. You are a vibrant, beautiful, active, wonderful young lady and very, very far from middle age yet (and if anyone tells you otherwise, send them my way for a stern talking to!!! :D).

    Big hugs & joyful weekend wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Loved your comment on today's recipe post, my sweet friend. I grew up with plenty of recipes that called for lard or shortening in them, too. I don't cook with it terribly often these days simply because some of my GI conditions have a hard time digesting high fat meals (especially after I had my gallbladder removed four years ago), but I tote its culinary merits and wouldn't balk away from using it if it really is the best (edible) tool for the job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess,
      Eating fats was a huge problem for me, too. There was a period in my life when I swore I'd grow into a chicken - since I was allowed nothing but boiled chicken breasts.. that time is, thankfully, over. May it NEVER return. :)

      When I first took the picture in question (the funny one, with massive layers of clothing), we did so as a joke. MY brother mentioned something about us looking like two middle-aged women; since THAT is how the women here dress on a regular day basis.. sadly. And, my friends agreed - hence the message I received. :)
      Such a sad deal, seeing women dressed like that.. will write about that subject soon.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete