Search This Blog

Friday, 14 November 2014

A spinster-cooking.. or: cooking for one.


Hello everybody!

I am comfortable with myself - being single, that is. Many people (much more that I'll ever be able to count) asked me about me getting married. It hapens almost daily.. they fear I must be feeling lonely, and scared. But, the truth is: they are afraid I'll become.. the Miserable Spinster

A short lesson from history:
In the Middle Ages the word “spinster” was a compliment. A spinster was someone, usually a woman, who could spin well: a woman who could spin well was financially self-sufficient — it was one of the very few ways that mediaeval women could achieve economic independence. The word was generously applied to all women at the point of marriage as a way of saying they came into the relationship freely, from personal choice, not financial desperation. 
Now it is an insult, because we fear “for” such women — and now men as well — who are probably “sociopaths.”

Some time ago, I've seen an article from 1928,
about cooking for one - or two..





.
.
.
.
.


We all not need to be loved, but not at the cost of ourselves. The single relationship that is truly central and crucial in a life is the relationship to the self. Of all the people you will know in a lifetime, you are the only one you will never lose.
Marija

4 comments:

  1. Your last line, so true and eloquent, sent a shiver up my spine. That is such an immensely important thing for everyone to realize and accept. Just imagine how much happier the world would be if such was the case? We are never entirely alone. We have our soul and our heart, our mind and our memories and we should all be our own best friends as well.

    It's genuinely sad that in the 21st century others still give a fig as to if someone else is married (and/or has children) or not. It is none of their business how you live your life, and who you have (or don't have) in it in the slightest. I love being married, but I also loved many aspects of being single and am incredibly grateful that I got to experience life entirely on my own for a while. Had it been forever, I'm sure I would have been fine with that because I've always been the sort of person who enjoys solitude, keeps herself busy (too busy at times!), and draws a great deal from my relationships with friends and family. I think that a lot of those people who judge and criticize single folks do so because they are afraid of how they would feel if they were alone. It's not an easy road for all and plenty of people make poor relationship choices and end up miserable instead of being blissfully single (especially, I would argue, there are many women who sadly walk this path). I admire you for chatting about this topic and couldn't agree more that being single is a status, not necessarily one's whole destiny. We never know what tomorrow might bring and that is the beauty of it!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a heart-warmer, darling.
      That is all I can say.
      I keep reading this comment of yours, and those are the only words that come to my mind.

      THANK YOU, Jess.

      Marija

      Delete
  2. I've been dealing with being single as of late. Not to say I want to jump into marriage, but hey it'd be nice to have a guy interested in me and vice versa. :-/ Thank you for that quote and last line...it helped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darling gal,
      There is NOTHING wrong with being single. And there is nothing wrong with being married, or wanting to marry. You are most welcome, and I hope you'll find what (or: who) you are looking for. :)

      Marija

      Delete