Search This Blog

Monday, 15 September 2014

No cycling on a rainy day..


Hello there!

La Vuelta ended yesterday.
(for those who are NOT fans of cycling - that is the last of the 3 largest races n the cycling year).
..

I haven't posted about my cycling for quite a while now. As t happens to be raining, and therefore no way for me to enjoy cycling today (I will take a walk a bit later), let me share a little article I've found.
“Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel…the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.”
Susan B. Antony.
But, not everyone believed that a bicycle is made for women. To tell the truth, women had to fight for their right to ride and were often mocked for “muscling in” on a “man’s world.

Here's an article from the magazine "New York World" - this was back in June 1895:


I can honestly say: I have never fainted on a bicycle, but I have seen some men having problems keeping up with my cycling pace. :)


 
 My trusty friend and me.
I do understand I'm wearing anything vintage here.. but, 
when on my bicycle, I do not care about fashion, or stress, or.. anything much.

One of the wonderful things about cycling – then and now, really – is how it’s so adaptable, for both sexes. Men and women enjoyed the freedom of bicycling but for women it was especially liberating. An 1891 article in Outing asked “where shall [women] ride?”:
“The smiling countryside holds out arms of welcome to her, the shaded grassy road, the smooth steep incline, the bumping corduroy by-ways, the canal towpaths, the lakeside drives and the stubborn stiff hill to be climbed.”
It's mighty empowering.. and the best way to both clear your mind and strengthen your body. I doubt there is a better way to exercise. You get to be outside, to take a look around, you don't even feel the kilometers as they pile up behind your wheels..
When is the last time you had a great ride?
Marija

No comments:

Post a Comment