Search This Blog

Thursday, 3 July 2014

Women's cycling - more than two wheels!


Hello there.


The maiden with her wheel of old
Sat by the fire to spin,
While lightly through her careful hold
The flax slid out and in.
Today her distaff, rock and reel
Far out of sight are hurled
And now the maiden with her wheel

Goes spinning round the world.




There's an image on the web (you might have seen it on my Google+, since I've shared it) telling us: "Keep calm, Le Tour is coming". With that in mind, I'm excited to show you some of the vintage ladies on their two wheelers - and some amazing quotes on what the bicycle did for our gender.

Ride on, girls!

A lady walks quietly through the streets, seeing and hearing nothing that she ought not to, recognizing acquaintances with a courteous bow and friends with words of greeting. She is always unobtrusive, never talks loudly, or laughs boisterously, or does anything to attract the attention of the passers-by. She walks along in her own quiet, lady-like way, and by her preoccupation is secure from any annoyance. A true lady in the street, as in the parlor is modest, discreet, kind and obliging. (Victorian Station, Lady On The Street)


When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments. Here was a machine of precision and balance for the convenience of man. And (unlike subsequent inventions for man’s convenience) the more he used it, the fitter his body became. Here, for once, was a product of man’s brain that was entirely beneficial to those who used it, and of no harm or irritation to others. Progress should have stopped when man invented the bicycle.
- Elizabeth West 


Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. It gives women a feeling of freedom and self-reliance. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel…the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood.
- Susan B Anthony. 


When woman wants to learn anything or do anything useful or even have any fun there is always someone to solemnly warn her that it is her duty to keep well. Meanwhile in many states she can work in factories ten hours a day, she can stand behind counters in badly ventilated stores from 8 o’clock to 6, she can bend over the sewing machine for about 5 cents an hour and no one cares enough to protest. But when the same women, condemned to sedentary lives indoors, find a cheap and delightful way of getting the fresh air and exercise they need so sorely there is a great hue and cry about their physical welfare. 
- Zheutlin, Women on Wheels, 


What enjoyment to a cramped and warped woman’s life is the whirl of the wheel, bringing back as it does God’s gift of health, and the memory of childhood’s delight in out of door activity. With a sense also of rest to the brain, and by raising the thoughts in gratitude alone the household cares and drudgery, it gives a woman for one brief while the chance to rejoice in the feeling of liberty and delight in her own strength.
- Wheelwoman, 1896.


The bicycle…has been responsible for more movement in manners and morals than anything since Charles the Second. Under its influence, wholly or in part, have wilted chaperones, long and narrow skirts, tight corsets, hair that would come down, black stockings, thick ankles, large hats, prudery and fear of the dark; under its influence, wholly or in part, have blossomed weekends, strong nerves, strong legs, strong language, knickers, knowledge of make and shape, knowledge of woods and pastures, equality of sex, good digestion and professional occupation—in four words, the emancipation of women.
- John Gallsworthy 

Keep peddling! 
Marija

5 comments:

  1. lovely pictures.
    actually i had a post about vintage biking, too ... i lost it somehow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun, wonderful sports/outdoors themed post. I haven't been able to ride a bike for many years now due to some of my medical conditions, but as a youngster it was a major passion (as a hobby) of mine and the way in which I got around town a lot of the time. I had a pink bike when I was a quite small, then a red one as a I got older and both logged countless miles, and they did indeed provide me with a much needed sense of freedom.

    Lovely trip (on two wheels! :)) down memory lane, my sweet friend. Thank you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel for you, deeply, my dear.
      I know how hard it is for you, and I can only imagine all the restrictions you must have. Then again, I can only imagine the felling one would have when being forced to lose a part of life (call me Strange, but cycling is a part of my life, and being able to spend at lest 30 minutes a day on the bicycle is better than spending 2 hours at a psychiatrist) :)

      I'm glad I've brought the memories back.. and I'm glad they are the happy ones.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  3. Good post Marja and a very correct regarding the bicycles role in female emancipation...long live the bicycle.

    Stefan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stefan!
      It's always a pleasure to have gentlemen over here.
      Thank you for your kind words, I do try to find accurate data, and to be precise as much as I can. And, some days I do tend to squeeze in a bit of feminism (just a bit) into my texts. And nothing is more emancipating than a cycle. :)

      Marija

      Delete