Search This Blog

Monday, 14 July 2014

Ode to summer - the poem to allmighty Sun


Hey there.

"You know it's summer?"  :)
Some days, I have to stop and remind myself of this. Some days, when it's raining, when the wind is strong, and the air is cold, it's hard(er) to realize we're in the middle of the glorious summer, my friends. 

What a fun-looking bunch!
Wouldn't it be great to be in this picture?

Last week was long, hard and it left me quite tired. I got soaked (twice?), I worked a lot of late hours, we had meetings, organizing had to be pressed on.. it all culminated on Saturday; and I dare say: with great success - our work payed off. It was good.
Now, that's behind us, I can lift my head up and see the sun. That's when I realize it's summer. No, no: it's Summer (with a capital "S"!); and we should sing to it.

Summer Sun by Robert Louis Stevenson

Great is the sun, and wide he goes
Through empty heaven with repose;
And in the blue and glowing days
More thick than rain he showers his rays.

Though closer still the blinds we pull
To keep the shady parlour cool,
Yet he will find a chink or two
To slip his golden fingers through.

The dusty attic spider-clad
He, through the keyhole, maketh glad;
And through the broken edge of tiles
Into the laddered hay-loft smiles.

Meantime his golden face around
He bares to all the garden ground,
And sheds a warm and glittering look
Among the ivy's inmost nook.

Above the hills, along the blue,
Round the bright air with footing true,
To please the child, to paint the rose,
The gardener of the World, he goes.

Lot of people nowadays fear the sun. "It's bad for you", they say. 
I beg to differ.

Back in the day, when I was a toddler, our mom and dad would get a large metal tub outside, and pour the water in. I remember sitting next to it, and dipping my fingers inside, to check "Is it warm yet?". Once the water got warm, we would jump in - what great time we had: splashing, playing with our rubber toys.. in the sun. Sun was good for us. 
Once we got a bit bigger, we were allowed to cycle to the river and jump in. It was even better than the metal tub (it that was ever possible!). We would lay in the sun, staring at the little white clouds, as they float in the sky.. and then jump back in the river again. Once hungry, we'd get our sandwiches (there was a lot of us back then, and all our moms made sure we all have some food - since they knew once we drive off on our little BMX's, we're not coming back 'till dark). Sun was great.
Then I got acne. I'd suffer in the winter, but come summer - they were gone. Sun helped. Sun dried them out, my skin started glowing again. Sun gave me my smile back.
I'm a grow up now. I get frustrated, tired, annoyed.. I lift my head up, close my eyes and let the sun's rays hit my face. Sun calms me down. 

I hope you feel the joy of Sunshine, too.
Marija

1 comment:

  1. Loved the poem and the stories from your childhood! When spring and summer comes we're definitely reminded of how important and powerful the sun is. We're like flowers when the sun starts shining, we come to life. Our outfits turn a little brighter and so does our smiles. I wish you a sunshiny day my dear! Lots of hugs!

    ReplyDelete