Search This Blog

Thursday, 19 June 2014

A house is a home - new series!


Hey all!

Today I'm starting a new series on this little blog of mine. It will not be fashion-oriented (not everything here is about fashion - strange, I know). :)


This summer-series will be a presentation of 1930's houses through the advertisements. It'll show you some of the ideas and plans; and it just might give you some inspiration.
Let us start.

The Astoria


By 1930, the classic bungalow plan of the 'teens was starting to fade from the catalogs and plan books. Nevertheless, Montgomery Ward offered the three-bedroom Astoria model with its open floor plan and simplified Craftsman-style detailing.

...

Every now and then I'll be sending one of these advetisements your way, and I hope maybe some of yll (maybe all of us?) will get a hint of inspiration and a bit of history from these images.

Have a magnificent day!
Marija

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely idea, I'll definitely be on the lookout for more posts in this series! The house looks really sweet and I'm sure it was a real favourite back in the day. I wish you a darling weekend, my sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightful! I love the simplicity of these sweet old bungalows.
    :) Hope

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such memories. I had a friend with the almost exact home once upon a time.
    Had a porch swing on right side facing left side is only thing missing.
    Fabulous. Thank you.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to hear that these homes were more than just images on paper.

      Marija

      Delete
  4. I will look forward to seeing more of these - American houses are SO different to UK ones, I don't think I have a clear idea in my head of what a typical house in the 1930s in America would have looked like x

    ReplyDelete