Search This Blog

Monday, 10 March 2014

Victory garden series: where I am right now.


Hello there!

It's March. Some of you lucky ones are enjoying your daffodils, and some of you lot less lucky than me are still out there, shoveling snow.


Before we continue what we have started on the FIRST part of this series, I'd like to show you here I am with my little garden.

 Right alongside the driveway, we have our first (until this year it was our only) flower bed
It's guarded by this gigantic gnome.
Later in the year, I'll be taking out five more gnomes;
but right now, they are much safer in the shed, since they are not so "hardy" as this big fella.

 This unattractive bean-looking bricked patch of dirt
is what later in the year is going to be known as my "hosta bed"


Hostas are one of the best foliage plants for light to medium shade and are deservedly popular. These resilient and easy-to-grow plants are available in a wide range of leaf colors, sizes and shapes, and are also valued for their flowers, which are often fragrant.
Mine were quite old and have never been divided; so over the years they have spread out and lost their ability to produce those amazing flowers in August.
I have tackled them last week, dug them out, divided them and gave them a new "home"... just you wait, I'm sure I'll be able to show you how bright and fun those giant leaves can be.
(and, if they are good enough for Prince Charles, they are surely good enough for me)
This is my second plant bed, and it'll be a mixed border.
Right now, you can see my struggle with lilac (I'm training it into 
being a straight-growing three; now an easy task)

Other than that, you can see my daffodils, but they are too shy to bloom. One reason might be that I've moved them in order to save them. The other reason could be the fact that I live on the "shady" part of the street; meaning that the sun is still weak. 
You'll be able to follow me (and my gardening struggles) in the following weeks. I hope that I'll be able to show off soon (as my Imperial Crowns are growing nicely)

No, let us proceed with our historical gardening. We have stopped at planning our garden.


Back in the day, larger gardens were cultivated by horses;
but today we lack such space (and we lack horses)
so my advice would be to make the lines shorter, so that YOU can manage around them.

The most important part of every gardening year
is seed selection: are you going for the "early" variety,
or do you want your peas to come a bit later in the year.

Let me clarify that one: if you pick an early pea crop, that'll give you just enough time to have another crop right after you pick your peas. So, after you're done with you peas, in goes the potato spuds. Saving time was very important; it was the difference between starvation and having a full basket.

This is quite a strong statement: 
"As much seed as possible should be saved at home"

This is so important nowadays, since we are surrounded with crops that do not seed. Your pea should be able to produce a regular pea-plant once you place it in ground and give it water. If not, you are undoubtedly an owner of one of those "GMO" scary and infertile plants.

This test I remember.
Long time ago, when I was a child, my grandfather and I did this.
He was, to say, old-school, and this booklet
would be on his table back in his days.



Let us stop here; I don't want to press you more with the information on gardening. I do hope you're enjoying this.
You might notice that there is no story of my vegetable garden (only some snaps of the early stages of flower garden); and that is due to weather. It is yet too early for ME to start digging over in the vegetable garden. And I'll give you an important piece of advice:
Better start later.
Some books and magazines promote that "you must get digging in March". I say: no digging until the ground has dried. Last thing you want is to place your precious seeds into muddy soil and watch it rot down.

Let me know how you are progressing!
Happy gardening.
Marija

2 comments:

  1. This might seem like an odd thing to hone in on, but I just have to say how much adore that concrete and brick fence in your backyard. The circular cutouts are unique and very visually appealing. It's marvelous that spring is slowly starting to return to your corner of the world, sweet dear. Yesterday was the first day where we had a glimmer of that ourselves, as the sun shot out like a rocket and the temps climbed all the way up to 17C. Of course, that was a bit warmer than we'll likely get everyday for the time being, but it was a glorious change of pace from the wintry wrath that will still in place here as recently as last Wednesday and such an uplifting sign of the season that lays ahead.

    Happy gardening!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm horribly late with my replies, but it's such a busy week here...
      I have told my father you liked his wall (he designed it, you see), and he said "Thank her"
      So: THANK YOU, Jessica.

      Have a wonderful day
      Marija

      Delete