Search This Blog

Saturday, 15 March 2014

Victory garden series: all hands to the hot-bed


Hello there!

First of all, I feel that I must apologize for not being around for most of this week. As much as I love this blog (and the friends I have made here); it takes time maintaining it. So, don't think I'm avoiding anyone.. it's just that time of the year when work is gobbling up most of my time in the day.



..and the little of the daylight I have left, I spend it in my little garden.
THIS is where we have stopped last time. Since that time, I have been blessed with a joyful present when I came back from work yesterday:

One of my Imperial Crowns is getting ready to 
show us her lovely orange bloom.
(mind the smell)

If you don't mind, I would like to tell you her history.. while we wait for her to bloom.
Fritillaria imperialis are mainly native to south east Turkey but is found through western Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and finally resting in Kashmir. It is now found at 1000-3000 m(3300-9000ft) growing on rocky slopes and in the scrub.  In earlier times the orange-red blossoms where used as a source of dye coloring for the rugs which were made in the area.



Many historians feel that the Fritillaria imperialis was the plant refered to in the Greek myth of Hyacinthus.  Hyacinthus  was a beautiful young man, (possibly a Spartan Prince) who the god Apollo admired.  It was said that Apollo accidentally killed Hyacinthus when they were taking turns throwing a discus. Hyacinthus wanted to impress Apollo by running and catching the discus and instead was struck by it and died. Another form of the myth says that Zephyr, god of the west wind was feuding with Apollo over Hyacinthus,  when Apollo threw the discus Zephyr blew it off course which caused the accident.
All Fritillaria  have an unpleasant scent which people have said ranges from raw meat to wet fur to musty smelling, this helps to repel rodents who commonly decimate bulbs by eating them. I have read several sources who say the scent really does work as rodents do not touch these bulbs.

How did she got in here?!
Pardon me, it's just Cuddles.

Cuddles (this is an English translation of her name) is my Supervisor when it comes to all things done in and around garden. She tracks my every move: she made sure to step on every brick I have placed around my flower beds. She diligently sniffed every snowdrop bulb that I dug out and replanted last week.
Today, she was again on duty. Never late (sometimes sleepy). She checked my digging, she made sure that the grass we cut was fine enough for rolling on it. She gave us her "OK", so I'm sure the gardening is going well.
.
.
.

Let us now carry on with our Victory Garden series.
Last time we had some serious seed-talk, and we are going to continue with that for a little while:


This is still in use, I tell you.
I have seen a hot bed like this one just last year - my neighbor had made it.







We'll pause here.
Next time we will continue and it just might match the weather, too. Our outdoor weather is good enough for the hot bed, and by the time I publish the next part of this little tale of ours, I hope we'll have enough sun to actually plant seed directly into soil.
(if not vegetables, then flowers)

Have a wonderful day, my gardening darlings!
Marija

2 comments:

  1. So true - blogging takes time. It's one thing if you just post a few pictures, your own or ones you found online, and little else then vanish, but if (as you and I both do, for example) spend hours researching and writing posts, being an active member of the community, and spending time on social media for the sake of your blog, it can easily turn into a full-time job (and then some!). It's important to balance the online world with the off line one, especially as the warm weather returns and there are so many glorious reasons not to be glued to our computer monitors 24/7. I'm happy to know you've been experiencing some of those lately and hope that many more come your way in the season ahead, my sweet friend.

    Oodles of hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are true to the last word here, Jessica.
      And there's a snag to blogging: there are many of us out there who already have full time jobs, so full-time blogging puts a pressure on our daily lives. Some days I merge into vintage times online, reading lots of interesting articles, thinking of how I could best show them to others.. and then there are days when I can't even log on.

      Many happy greetings!
      Marija

      Delete