Search This Blog

Friday, 24 January 2014

Winter footwear, it was all about galoshes. Come again? Yes: galosh /gə-ˈläsh/


Hello.

There's no better time to write about winter footwear than today. Why, you ask? Because up until today, we had only a slight snowfall in early December. No white Christmas, no snow-covered streets in New Year (don't get me wrong, I don't long for snow.. I'm just used to it). This morning, when I woke up, the Weather-man announced there will be snow tonight.
Hence: let us brace ourselves (unless you're in Australia and New Zealand, than my advice to you will be: a chilling glass of lemonade).

Old 1940's galoshes, find these at Etsy.com


Galoshes (from Frenchgaloches), also known as boat shoesdickersons, or overshoes, are a type of rubber boot that is slipped over shoes to keep them from getting muddy or wet. The word galoshes might be used interchangeably with boot, especially a rubberised boot. Properly speaking, however, galoshes are synonymous with rain boots often reaching heights just below the knee or mid-shin.

Young worker looking at her new stylish galosh

These pieces of protective footwear were not only popular in the western civilisation; the image above shows us a Russian poster of a joyful girl adoring her new footwear. 

Vladimir Mayakowsky made quite some number of posters back in the day, and he did some amazing art on galoshes:

Rezinotrest is your protector from rain and slush. 
Without galoshes, Europe is bound to sit and weep. (1924)

Resinotrest also made tires, so folks back then could rest assured that their galoshes are truly weather-proof.

Yet another great find - take a look at it on: etsy.com

Great imagination was required to make a dull rubber into a decent-looking pair of protective footwear. They were made to look attractive, material wasn't simply moulded, there were patterns.. and a zipper?




Galoshes are, according to this lovely advertisement from 1924, being made with a "key" (that is: a zipper) to fasten with two rows of metal teeth that lock together.

For your entire family!

Later came fashionable modifications: adding fur, lace-ups and yes: colour! Girls became able to match this outer-protective footwear to their overall appearance. 

"New beauty - smarter fit"

I, for one, would love to be able to find a pair of these, since it'll save me a pretty large sum of money on buying new pair of leather boots every season (since the salt used to control snow on roads get into every pore of my boots and ruins them).


I am seriously thinking of getting one pair.
Do you own galoshes (or any kind of weather-proof rubber footwear)?
♥♥ Pinky Honey

4 comments:

  1. I would love a pair of wellington's they looks so comfy and I know many women used them for work/casual wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they would be a life-saver, dear.
      Surely, we'd save a lot of money on leather-shoes, if we can use rubber ones while going to and from work.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. That early description of a zipper is positively charming. I wonder, in the early day of the zip, if clothing and shoe manufacturers foresaw how immensely widespread and popular this newfangled closure would become?

    Wonderful post - I've never wanted a vintage pair of galoshes myself more than I do now.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I found the add for the zipper-galosh I knew I had to post about it somehow. I believe that, for many of us, the man who introduced zipper to clothing gave an enormous relief. It's easy to use, it's not uncomfortable (and, I must add this: there's no "breeze" in your jacket or skirt).

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete