Search This Blog

Thursday, 16 January 2014

No more Bad Hair Day! ...and a little story about me.


Hello.

Ever had a bad hair day? As: when one's inability to groom one's hair in the morning seems to color events of the day. OR just as a purely a BAD hair day - complete inability to do anything with one's hair.
I've had them both.
Today, I'm focusing on the second one. And this is the story of how bad can it get - and how I no longer have a Bad Hair Day.


Yes, Farrah - we all know You never have a bad hair day.


♥♥ Let us go back in time..
In ancient Egypt, both males and females wore wigs made either from human hair, sheep's wool or vegetable fibres, depending upon their social status. There were a number of benefits for Egyptians from shaving their heads. First it was more comfortable in the hot Egyptian climate not to have hair. Secondly, a bald-head helped avoid the danger of an infestation of lice, which was a problem at that time. However, it appears that Egyptians preferred having “hair” which resulted in the creation of wigs that gave the appearance of hair. The new wigs also protected the Egyptians’ bald-heads from the brutal sun. Wigs became part of daily wear for the Egyptian people indicating a person’s status as well as their role in a society or politics. Women’s wigs were adorned with braids and gold, hair-rings and ivory ornaments making them more stylish than men’s wigs. Ultimately, the more elaborate and involved the wig was, the higher the social rank.
Other ancient civilizations whose citizens wore wigs were the Greeks, Romans, Assyrians, and the Phoenicians. For the Romans, in particular, wigs were often made with hair from slaves. During the Roman Empire wealthy Roman women often wore elaborate hairpieces to greatly increase the volume and effect of the hairstyle.

In contrast, the people of the ancient civilizations in the Far East, including China and Japan, rarely wore wigs except by actors performing in the traditional theaters of China and Japan (Noh or Kabuki) and by certain types of female entertainers such as the Japanese geisha or the Korean Kisaeng.

With the emergence of Christian influences during the medieval era became plainer. By the Middle Ages (1200-1400 A.D.) wigs lost their relevance because of difficult times. Women were usually required to have their head covered, fashion was off everyone’s radar, and beauty was austere. Then, in the beginning of Renaissance (1400-1600) the female hairstyle regained importance and women began showing their hair again. Instead of covering their heads, they adorned their coiffures with lustrous veils and sparkling jewels. Once again women’s wigs emerged as fashion and beauty became important considerations in society.



The 18th century saw elaborate wigs with mile-high coiffures and highly decorated curls. White powdered wigs with long ringlets became the order of the day. In fact, some imaginative ladies had wigs with small birdcages complete with bird, on top of their heads. For wigs, big hair was definitely the in-thing.
Wigs were so widespread that virtually all the elite wore wigs or elaborate hairstyles during this time. It is not surprising that by the end of the 18th century the number of French master wig-makers had sky-rocketed from the fashion centre of Paris to other European capitols and finally to provincial cities as well. 




In addition to the guild master wig-makers were thousands of journeymen wig makers and artisans travelling the European countryside producing wigs clandestinely. 
Eventually, wigs were no longer an exclusive luxury item, an exclusive marker of high birth or a status symbol worn by the privileged few. A shorter, less elaborate wig, called the bob wig, was very popular in Colonial America at the beginning of the 18th century.




The word "wigs", itself, is taken from "periwigs" which was the name of the particular long, curly wigs that became popular after Charles II was returned to the throne in 1660. 
Some historian attribute popular fashion status of the periwig to Louis XIII. The periwig simulated real hair and was primarily used for adornment or to cover the loss of real hair. Periwigs became extremely sought after it achieved status symbol. Having become a tradition of the English Court, the periwig is still seen today in modern British courts. 


Shhh.. they CAN'T tell it from my real hair. 


♥♥ The story..
While ago I let you all know I'have something new in my life. 

Hello!
I'm not wearing makeup here
(and pardon the mess behind me - I decluttered it, promise)


Most of the people who saw this animation on my Google+ post said my hairstyle is lovely. Well, to tell the truth: it is not mine. 
It is indeed a wig.
Long time ago, on one of my early posts on choosing the right glasses I've shown you a picture of me with a horrible eye-wear choice and the shortest hair possible.. or so I thought. This picture in particular was taken four years ago, in my dorm room. It was my second time on going this short (just before that, I had long, permed hair).
Over the past four years my hair has grown and.. fallen off. Wash-days became somewhat troublesome, especially to our bathtub sink - since I could not catch all the hair that decided to fall off. In order to maintain the loss, I had my hair cut shorter, and shorter.. and shorter.

In order to make this easier to read and understand, I'll answer some of the most often questions I came across in the past, OK?




♥♥ People asked, I answered..

1. So, what is wrong with you?
Nothing. :) I have an overly joyful amount of hormones that cause lots of different (not so amusing) effects, and one of them is systematic hair thinning that can lead to hair loss. 

2. Are you sick?
No. I can honestly say: what I have is widely know condition, but not a sickness. Lot of women out there have similar condition, some of them have symptoms much more severe than mine. Some experience larger amount of troubles. Some are, incredibly, unaware of it all and go on without a single problem.

3. Are you going bald?
Well, yes.. yes I'm getting there. And, then again: no one said my hair will never (ever) again grow long and strong (not like Farrah's, but..) It might grow long. It might not grow back. I like to repeat what I've said a lot of times: C'est la vie. We shall see.

4. Do you feel less feminine?
In all my years of having short hair, I have never felt non-feminine. I've seen large number of long-haired women who haven't got a single feminine feature. Hair is important, but it is not by far a thing that defines a feminine woman. 

5.Don't you feel frustrated?
No, I'm bouncing with joy. Frustration comes naturally in everything that has to do with such an evident change as going ultra-short haired from a long, styled hairstyle. We are taught in life that girls got long hair. Then, for some of us how can not (by the life of us) manage it, it should be a stigma? I believe that this society has moved on and that we live in the world of liberty in making choices - clothing, lifestyle, work.. and hair.

6. Wigs are fake, aren't you scared of them?
A wig is (as we see from the history written above) nothing scary. Sure, some of the images here may nowadays look strange, fake and plastic.. but as all technology moves forward, so does the wig-making. Have you seen "The good wife"? Julianna Margules wears a wig in the show - nothing fake there, no?

7. Does it make you feel uncomfortable?
Simple answer: no. Maybe it would feel heavy or fit less natural on me, however my own hair is so short (it's practically shaved) that the wig tops is just fine. I'm not feeling itchy, or warm. The wig does not fall off; unless you try to yank it off (then I just might fight back). It was fitted by a hairstylist to fit me.

8. How about people around you?
I work in an local governmental office. I see a lot of people every day. Therefore, my personal appearance is important to me (let's be honest: I'm a woman, look matters). Having a perfect hairstyle every day, all day long is a dream of most of the women. My look offends no one; on the contrary: everyone I've met had to stop and tell me how lovely I look.

9. But, your hair is not that bad..
No, it's not that bad. It's nicely shaped, so nice that I have many comments similar to "Oh, a boyish style suits your face... it'll grow - just be patient". My personal hair is no longer something that makes me smile when I take a look at the mirror. It no longer reflects my image of myself. It's not a question of looking "normal" - to me, it is a question of being happy.

10. Can I try it on?
Sure. Go to a salon, and try on any wig your heart desires. Wigs are not little trinkets such as bracelets, we do not pass them along for others to try out on themselves.. they are our hair (I don't flip my wig off as I would take my hat off). You would not try someone's contact lenses, right?



Allow me to introduce you:
.
.
.
.
.
.


Meet Nancy - yes, I named her


Natural light                                                                             With flash


I proudly wear it to the office; as a matter of fact, this first image above was taken in my office (note the pastel pink walls). 
I rather like the way I look now.
Bangs were shortened by a hair stylist at the salon, they originally came quite long, and without fitting they would poke me in the eyes. I know some girl do like their bangs to be so long to cover them up to their lovely noses; but I haven't had bangs for years. 
It was scary at first, having such a change - it has been so long since the last time I had any length of hair - it even became unimaginable to picture myself with bangs and bob. And here I am.

Let me know what you think about it.
To all of you who supported me in this change - a massive THANK YOU!

Have a lovely day my dear friends.
♥♥ Pinky Honey

7 comments:

  1. My dear, brave, inspiringly fantastic fellow wig wearer. This post is filled with soul and wisdom. Perhaps because Canadians, by and large, are so polite and apt to keep their potential rude or discomfort inducing questions to themselves, I've not actually run into a lot of queries you've already received (the person who asked the most questions so far has been my own dear mom, as her hair has been thinning ever since I was born nearly 30 years, but to date she hasn't oped to go the wig route yet, despite my loving encouragement to do so). Your answers are smart, informative, amicable and more than enough to quell any reasonably polite person's curiosity. I know first hand the tremendous amount of gumption that it takes to write so candidly about your hair loss/becoming a wig wear and commend you from the bottom of my heart for doing so with all of us here today.

    You are AMAZING!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (again and again!) for your help and advices.
      It's true to our nature, and I knew it'll be this way, that our folk speak their minds.. and they do so loudly and sometimes without giving it much thought. Braving it out; like braving anything out in here, was more the matter of preparing oneself for all the load of questions that keep coming my way.
      Thank you.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. Wow, great wig! You absolutely have my full support, dear!! I know Jessica of Chronically Vintage also wears a wig and touched on the subject a few times on her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, darling!
      You are true, and Jessica gave me advices on it, too.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  3. You look fabulous my dear, wig or not! You are such a inspiring and brave woman, darling and you have my full support! I wish you a darling weekend, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the bottom of my heart - thank you, dear.
      Thanks for stopping by, for being there and for your support.

      Marija

      Delete
  4. Wish I had seen this article sooner, fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete