Search This Blog

Friday, 3 January 2014

Dreaming of a better office? Me too.


Hello there.

We're in the middle of the Holiday Season (we are - there's one more Christmas, and one small New Year.. and our Family Saint day to go by the end of January).. however, I'm not thinking about cookies, cakes and celebration...I am thinking Office Style.

Office?
Have you ever wondered how it is defined? I did. This is how:
An office is generally a room or other area where administrative work is done, but may also denote a position within an organization with specific duties attached to it (see officer, office-holder, official); the latter is in fact an earlier usage, office as place originally referring to the location of one's duty. When used as an adjective, the term "office" may refer to business-related tasks. In legal writing, a company or organization has offices in any place that it has an official presence, even if that presence consists of, for example, a storage silo rather than an office.

All packed up, noisy and busy..
it does look like this in my office.. we don't have cubical organizing system. 




This is the exact size of my desk in the office. 
Originally, the desk was designed and placed there to serve as a printer-desk. To tell the truth, it still serves that purpose.. but, it also now serves me as a work environment. 
Yes, it would be nicer to have more space for my legs; or at least to be able place my knees anywhere but on a printer shelf. 
Needles to say - my knees are not attractive after I spend 8 hours pressing them onto a shelf.




My vintage-interest therefore, spread to a new area - Office Space and organizing. Back in the days, offices were different - pre-cube system was still running. Those were the days before "Action office" series of furniture was introduced in 1964; with it's highest point being the dreaded Cubicle that came into offices in 1967. Life was never the same for most of the world.
We are still living in non-cubical world; and our office space does resembles the one on the first image. Thinking about vintage offices, I came across some interesting ads.

Note sheets and envelopes.
In the days long gone, note sheets were delivered to your office with pre-made heading..


Some of the papers even had a watermark.
It was a sure mark that the document is an original - 
anyone can copy a stamp.

For one, I would love to have watermarks back. They would bring back the aesthetics back to the documents that we make.


The grandfather of your (and mine) copy-machine.


What an invention!
This machine made all our work so much more effective, faster and error-proof.

Can you imagine life without one? There used to be those copy-papers (made with one side inked, so that the ink can transfer your typed letters onto another sheet of paper). The ink-version could only make up to three copies at one go.. and than you had to start over.
Introducing Multigraph Duplicator to our offices gave ladies (and gents) the ability to make (oh, so many...) identical, mistake-free copies. There could be no smeared places in your document, there were no longer any "too light to read this" moments. 
This machine had one more purpose. A big one, at that. It introduced "copy-machine chat" into our daily lives. Whenever you feel stressed out, or need a walk (or a word with someone outside your office) you could just grab a paper and "Go, make a quick copy".

Indeed, a calculating machine.

I have given some thought to this. My life would be quite hard without a calculator. I'm not talking about adding up a simple everyday things; I am thinking about large amount business-related "make no mistake" calculations.. where other people's money is at stake.
So, I'll freely say: calculating machine made a lot of people sleep better.


A "mimeograph"

I will not pretend I knew what "a mimeograph" was. I searched for it. It is a predecessor to above mentioned multigraph duplicating machine. Robust in size, but much loved for it's ability to save time.


Quite an amazing advertisement for an early copy-machines.
They don't make them like that any more.

Some of you can't remember what it looked like before the "Action office" came into your lives. So, I'll show you what our office mostly resembles:

Just swap typewriters for PCs and you got it. 

While I daydream of a vintage-office, let me leave you with a lovely Office Quote: "Instead of being concerned that you have no office, be concerned to think how you may fit yourself for office. Instead of being concerned that you are not known, seek to be worthy of being known." - Confucius
♥♥ Pinky Honey

2 comments:

  1. That is a powerful quote and one that you could easily swap the word office with others such as home, car, wardrobe, etc and still have apply just as profoundly. The older I get, the more I feel connent with what I have across the board in my life and I find myself ever more grateful for those things, even if they're not ideal (or big enough). We need to stop and take stock of how fortunate we are for what we currently have. Doing so doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't strive for more, if it's needed/wanted, of course, but rather that we should try to often fuel our days with contentment instead of the draining feeling of being unsatisfied all the time. Much like yourself, when I find myself feeling that way, I often turn to vintage images (and wisdom) and quotes from wise people to see me through and help me refocus my outlook on a given situation.

    Big hugs, many thanks for your understanding comment on my New Year's post, and the very happiest of weekend wishes!
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I recently receive both pieces of mail you sent my way. Thank you so very much for them, darling gal. I really look forward to replying in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully said, Jessica.
      Bravo.
      I honestly believe that we should all (in some extent) learn from the past - just so we don't repeat it's mistakes. Not everyone is happy to be surrounded by the "old"; but it is where the wisdom comes from.

      I am happy my letters managed to find their way across the ocean, dear.

      Many weekend hugs
      Marija

      Delete