Search This Blog

Tuesday, 31 December 2013

Last day of the year - last chance to make our Resolution!


Hello.

There it is: the last day of the 2013. Some will feel relaxed, since the year that has a "13" is gone. Some might get a little sad - they got a year older. Some look forward to the new year; as it brings new adventures, new experiences.. I, for one, am happy with each new day.



This is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:
The ancient Babylonians made promises to their gods at the start of each year that they would return borrowed objects and pay their debts.
The Romans began each year by making promises to the god Janus, for whom the month of January is named.
In the Medieval era, the knights took the "peacock vow" at the end of the Christmas season each year to re-affirm their commitment to chivalry.
At watchnight services, many Christians prepare for the year ahead by praying and making these resolutions.

There are other religious parallels to this tradition. During Judaism's New Year, Rosh Hashanah, through the High Holidays and culminating in Yom Kippur (the Day of Atonement), one is to reflect upon one's wrongdoings over the year and both seek and offer forgiveness. People may act similarly during the Catholic fasting period of Lent, though the motive behind this holiday is more of sacrifice than of responsibility, in fact the practice of New Year's resolutions partially came from the Lenten sacrifices. The concept, regardless of creed, is to reflect upon self-improve mentally.



I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.

So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.

Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.

Make your mistakes, next year and forever.” Neil Gaiman 


Here's how I'll do this:
I'll use this image, delete the speech bubble and write my Resolutions on
Than I'll print it, and stick it where I'll see it
(in my case: it's NOT the refrigerator - it is the window frame in front of my of desk)

1. I will try to cope with stress
This is my biggest challenge this year. I'll be honest here: I mentioned I have stomach issues; and after a massive amount of tests my doctor & I agreed: there's nothing wrong with my body. I am one of the healthy ones. This, however implies that it is my mind that's making my body swell. It took me a long time (of self-observation) to realize: every time I'm forced to complete a task I'm not agreeing on, it causes stress, and I bloat like the Pufferfish. This also mean I'll try my best to be brave and ask for days off (first time in over 2 years - I need some days off..) and to say "no" to extra(extra) work.

2. I will read more
I put this one every single year. I do read. Quite enough. I put this on my Resolution list just to make sure I pay more attention on improving my knowledge. Sure, watching TV after coming from work can help me "zone out" - but that does not help much, does it? Learning new things every day (away from the PC) is the ultimate way to keep my brain healthy.

3. I will take more photos.
Photography is a lovely hobby. Taking "selfies" in the morning (to check my makeup and overall appearance) does not consider a photographic experience. Getting out of the house, searching for the setting, for the detail and for the "feel good" shot is what I'll be aiming for.

4. I will engage in a cultural activity.
This one, too, finds it's place on every year's Resolution. There's a reason to it: I'm genuinely a lazy person when it comes to getting out, and mingling with folks. I do get invited to cultural activities; and when the time comes for me to dress up and put on my makeup, I pause thinking "Maybe I should skip this one, it's cold / I'm tired / There's this book.." Having a written memo on the window frame forces me to move; because I strongly dislike to break a promise.

5. I will do my best with people
I am not a people person. I find it hard to connect with people (of course, I get on with everyone, and I can have a chat with a perfect stranger); but when it comes to making actual friends - there's much more pressure from my over-analysing mind. Keeping friends is also not easy; since they have the tendency to be unemployed and hence: they do not fully understand that there's a time of day they can call me out (daytime, afternoon mostly) and there's time of day I can't manage (night.. when they are most active)

6. I'll try to maintain my fitness level
..if not: make it better. I've started this last year, and I've made it this years Resolution to reach certain standards. I did reach them (here comes Pride) and went a little bit better. Managing my weight, controlling my body's wobble.. it was a big and important part of 2013 for me. This meant I had to change (from the very root) my lifestyle - since I was despising sweat. Nowadays, I don't like it; I've learned to bare with it, since it brings results.

7. I will try a new experiment - banish the refined sugar
This is going to be the Big Thing for 2014. There are multiple reasons for me to embark on this experiment (I call it an "experiment" since I truly have no idea how I'll manage it, how it's going to affect me OR am I even going to be able to stay away). We will see as the year goes along.

8. I will continue blogging
This did not come as a Resolution, nor was it a long planned decision. One day I needed a place of my own, to "tell" the world I'm over here (waving!). I needed a space to share my love for vintage; and since I failed to wake up the interest in my geographically close buddies, this place seemed like a logical solution. This is my vent. This is where I can freely be as much "Vintage Weird" as I want, and not be obligated to defend myself or answer the "why you look the way you look" questions.

9. I will continue sewing
As I do this, I hope to be able to pick up some new methods, maybe even learn to make new things. I believe there's always place for improvement. Also, once I've seen how good well-fitted clothes feel, it is impossible to go back to shopping for skirts. They don't make them in my size (how many times have you heard this one before?). But, truly: they don't. Clothes nowadays are made with the idea that an average woman has much larger waist then mine (as I long for my  "1973 Burda" waist)

10. I will backup.
Repeat: I will backup. This appears to have no real or deep meaning - not until you've lost considerable amount of data.. that took you considerable amount of your precious time to gather and/or make. Therefore: I will backup.

I found this wonderful Resolution list; and I'm saying YES to all of these:



A 2007 study by Richard Wiseman from the University of Bristol involving 3,000 people showed that 88% of those who set New Year resolutions fail, despite the fact that 52% of the study's participants were confident of success at the beginning. 
Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends. 
(also from Wikipedia)

“May Light always surround you;
Hope kindle and rebound you.
May your Hurts turn to Healing;
Your Heart embrace Feeling.
May Wounds become Wisdom;
Every Kindness a Prism.
May Laughter infect you;
Your Passion resurrect you.
May Goodness inspire 
your Deepest Desires.
Through all that you Reach For, 
May your arms Never Tire.” 
― D. Simone 

  Have a GREAT day, and a wonderful evening, my dear friends!

♥♥ Pinky Honey

6 comments:

  1. That is really excellent list, sweetheart. I love that it's comprised of goals and dreams that are both diverse and rooted in the realistic. I recently wrote a similar list of what I hope to do/keep doing in 2014 (that will be going live early in the new year), and am so excited to embark (or keep working on) each entry on it. I much prefer to have a list of ongoing goals, dreams and plans than to make one or two grand resolutions (I'm firm believer in that resolutions can be made anytime - some of the biggest in my life have been made on seemingly random days that weren't anywhere near the start of the year), and such rings true again as we head into 2014.

    With all my heart, darling friend, I wish you a peaceful, gorgeous, healthy, and endlessly happy New Year!!!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAPPY NEW YEAR, Jessica!
      I believe in the old rule: "If it's good, don't change it". Majority of my Resolutions are a continuation of "good things" from years before.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous list you've made here! I wish you all the happiness and success in the new year! Hopefully we will succeed in our resolutions and fulfill our dreams for 2014.

    Hugs Annie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Annie!
      Happy New Year!
      I feel so refreshed (I always feel rather fresh in January). And, I too hope we'll be able to keep up with our Resolutions; especially those Big Ones. ;D

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year! I really like the Neil Gaiman quote. Good luck with your resolutions, many of mine are the same as yours and I always find that making them public helps them to stick.
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Megan.
      Just a moment ago, I've heard it on the radio, in one of those "8 things to do..": if you say it in public, it's more likely to be done.. due to peer pressure. I can understand it, really. If I am to say: "today, I'll be exercising" - you can be sure my colleagues will be asking me tomorrow "How was your exercise?".
      I wish you all the best in following your Resolutions.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete