Search This Blog

Monday, 2 December 2013

Always a dreamer - fairy tale time: Maid Maleen


Hello there, dear friends.

When it comes to vintage things - I must move your attention to the stories and illustrations they did back in history. I'm not the only person who noticed that the children's books looked diferent if printed before 1970. The drawings were more realistic, so the readers could focus on the Moral, and less on the pop-up, velvety covers or CD attached to the back.

Here's a story from a book "Grimm's Fairy Tales", illustrated by Roberta Carter, printed by "Grosset & Dunlap" in 1962. 










Do you have any old fairy tale books?
Do you like them more than the new ones?
♥♥ Pinky Honey

4 comments:

  1. These are great, I love these illustrations! I'm fascinated by old movie posters as well, they are so realistic that you're left speechless. The illustrators surely had great talent. Happy Monday dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. Yes, you are right: the posters for old movies are surely quite realistic; with such strength of their impact that they manage to convey the sence of the film in a single picture.

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. Excellent point! A lot of the children's books I had growing up in the 80s/early 90s were originally written decades earlier, so they were commonly more in vein with the kinds of illustrations you've highlighted here, not the vivid, busy more Disney-esque ones of many fairy tales today. Each style has its merits for sure, but I'd say that I too am more commonly drawn to the old school style as well.

    Big hugs (the first from my new computer :)),
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Speaking of which, thank you very much for your splendidly nice welcome back comment. It's fabulous to have a great, fully functional computer again.

    *PSS* I haven't been able to tell you without one, but I mailed a letter to you in November. I hope it reaches you soon, my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must feel realieving to have a functional PC.
      Just for the record; I too was thinking of Disney, but I've chosen not to mention it. Some of the younger readers (any out there?) may just know Disney's googly-eyed characters as the ONLY ones out there.
      ..
      And, oh my.. now I'm going to check my mail even more often. :)

      Hug
      Marija

      Delete