Search This Blog

Thursday, 21 November 2013

Will Fashions become utterly Fantastic - article from autumn 1942.


Hey there.

In the search for some hat history, I came across an article on The Old Magazine Articles. So, I'd say it's reading time.




The celebrated milliner John Harberger (1902 – 1993: a.k.a. John-Frederics or Mr John and John P. John) was a force in American fashion throughout much of the Forties and Fifties. He had a long and illustrious list of clients that was far too long to stuff into this little box - but you may be interested to know that two and a half years prior to the appearance of this article, he had gained even greater notoriety for designing one of the hats worn by Vivian Leigh in MGM's Gone with the Wind.

Fashion designer/mode philosopher Elizabeth Hawes (1903 – 1971) wrote the attached review - she was a great admirer of the fellow - illustrated with photos picturing nine of his hats from that autumn, the first autumn of the war (for the Americans). No mention was made concerning the rationing of fabrics.

CLICK on the images for a larger view, dearies.







Interesting, no?

♥♥ Pinky Honey

6 comments:

  1. Why, yes, yes they are for me!!! I'll swaddle myself in these fabulous fashions like these anytime! They're bold, but not garish at all. Quite the opposite, actually, they're rather sophisticated and so very gorgeous! You find the most interesting, wonderfully engaging magazine articles, dear Marija!

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I'm sorry if I haven't pop by to comment as often as lately either. My laptop is dead and the new one we ordered hasn't arrived yet (it's supposed to around early December), so I'm between computers and trying to get by with what I can do from my phone. Could be worse, of course, but still, it is strange to be computer-less for a little while (it's a good thing I had several posts written and scheduled to go live in November already, or else things would be quite on the blog front too).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello dear!
      I knew this article would attract your attention.
      There's no problem in not having a comment from a technologicaly-defected friend. I know the feeling, I really DO. I had my trusty Toshiba for 4 years, and then, few days before New Year's eve it died. (I had a struck of luck that it happened just then, since it's the "discount" time - so I've managed to get a new one for a smaller price)

      I hope you'll get on your PC-feet soon, darling!
      Hug
      Marija

      Delete
  2. Very interesting! Love John Frederics, thank you for sharing your find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, dear.
      I'm quite glad you've liked it.

      Marija

      Delete
  3. Fabulous, thanks for sharing this doll! Happy Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stoping by, darling!

      Hugs
      Marija

      Delete