Search This Blog

Tuesday, 15 October 2013

The black wave - an article from July 27th 1921.


Hello.

By now, you know well how I like to stroll up and down the Web in the search for something interesting, something old and something that will be a great topic of a conversation. Nobody is immune to the "Great Gatsby" flame. Myself included (truth to be told, I haven't seen the new edition of the film, I'm hanging on to the 1974. version.. ah, the dashing Robert Redford and sweet Mia Farrow).
Daisy said:
And when I was in the delivery room, waking up from the ether, I asked the nurse whether it was a boy or a girl. She said it was a girl - and I turned my head to the side and cried. And then I said, I hope she grows up to be a pretty little fool. That's about the best a girl can hope for these days, to be a pretty little fool.
In my never-ending search I have came across an interesting article on The Old Magazine Articles.




This article first appeared in a 1921 issue of THE NEW REPUBLIC and regardless of the fact that it was penned by a scribe who seldom gave much thought to fashion, many (not all) of his reflections regarding mode and those who are enslaved by it are still relevant in our own time.
It all started for this fellow when he recognized that wherever he walked in the city of New York he would see throngs of black-clad women; women of all shapes and all ages:

"The youngster and the elderly woman seem to rejoice in it equally. It gives a note of elegance to the pocket-size shop-girl. It gives a notion of slimness to to the lady in quarto-size. On Fourteenth Street one meets it in cheap improvisation. One sees it on Park Avenue, stepping in conscious precision of fashion into, or out of a motor. It comes in polite demureness into a hotel restaurant. It goes in modest righteousness to the shopping district, or or to tea..."

Here it is:

CLICK to open in another tab - for a larger view


Here's an image I managed to find, of the fashions our writer was telling us about:


"You, unfortunately are dressed in colors. Charming, but a little demodee."
The game depends on that well-established psychological trait, the inferiority-complex; and until men and women accept themselves and their own preferences their sense of inferiority can be capably expoited by the ingenious dealers in mode and vogue.
..
Tell me what you think about it.

♥♥ Pinky Honey

2 comments:

  1. The latest version of Gatsby is spectacular. I don't feel like you can go into it expecting it to be a wholly period accurate piece, because it's not, but somehow - for me at least - that almost made me love this version more. It's wildly over-the-top, expertly acted (and filmed), the costumes are mind-blowing, the music (though mostly all modern) terrific, and the story as engaging and enjoyable (and just a wee bit heartbreaking) as ever.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard there's the "curve hugging" dresses incident - but, it is simply due to the fact that majority of folks out there have no idea of the *real* flapper-dress (the, ah so non-curve-hugging). I saw the trailer.. and there is madness about the era (even some makeup gurus went mad about Gatsby) - day will come, I will give it a go. :)

      Marija

      Delete