This is my third installment of the Summertime Glory series, and it is only natural that we've reached the point where we must talk about the most important summer-related issue:
Hello there, ladies!
It has many names: swimsuit, bathing suit, swimming costume, swimming suit, tog, bathers, or cossie (short for "costume"), or swimming trunks.
Swimsuits can be skin-tight or loose-fitting. They are often lined with another layer of fabric if the outer fabric becomes transparent when wet.
Swimsuits range from designs that almost completely cover the body to designs that expose almost all of the body. The choice of swimsuit will depend on personal and community standards of modesty and on considerations such as how much or how little sun protection is desired, and prevailing fashions. Most swimsuits in western culture leave at least the head, shoulders, arms, and lower part of the leg (below the knee) exposed. In many countries, young girls and sometimes women choose not to wear a swimsuit top, and this can vary with the occasion, location, age, etc
♥♥ Types of swimsuits ♥♥
- One-piece (also known as tank-suit) - Probably the most common form of one-piece swimsuit, the tank suit form is inspiration for the subsequent creation of the tank top as a mainstream article of clothing. The name "tank suit" is also supposed to be derived from the term "swimming tank", an obsolete term for what is now called a swimming pool.
- Bikini (also known as two piece) - One piece covers the breasts, the other the groin and buttocks, leaving an uncovered area between the two. Bikinis are available in many stylistic variations.
- Tankini (also, a sort of two piece) - Two piece covers the breasts and stomach (like a tank top), the other the groin and buttocks. Leaves a small gap in between the belly button and the hips. Tankinis are available in many stylistic variations.
- Monokini (other names: monokiki, topless-suit) - A women's swimsuit with one piece that exposes the breasts, originally invented by Rudi Gernreich in 1964, available in many stylistic variations and generally refers to a bikini bottom, or thong worn alone without a top.
- Burqini - Covers the whole body and head (but not face) in a manner similar to a diver's wetsuit.
..at least according to Wikipedia.
To me, just the idea of swimsuit meant something bigger - I instantly imagined the Sea, the Sun and the Beach; the Holiday Trinity.. (not that I'd mind adding some cocktalis in there)
♥♥ Vintage edition ♥♥
♥♥ Bathing-beauties ♥♥
More Betty Garble
Even more.. Betty Garble
At last - but definitely not least, let me post two most famous (..and deserve it!)
PIN-UP sailor girls in bathing suits:
♥♥ Betty & Marie ♥♥
Needs no introduction needed here - it's Betty Garble!
Hey there - Miss Marie McDonald!
Just one more.. for all of us ladies here present:
Hello boys! ♥
No matter if you like the 1940's one piece, or the brave&bold monokini.. chose the one that fits you, that flatters you.. and that will make this vacation season worth remembering!
♥♥ Pinky Honey